Notify
Tools

I'm going here next week. "update"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://huntnshoot.com/record_boar.htm

Anyone been there?

Well, it wasn't shooting pigs in a pin! 7 hunters, and six dead pigs. Only 1 was killed from a stand. The pigs were vary wary of the box stands, and wouldn't come to the feeder's. We had to stalk, and force them from cover. I hit a running pig at 25 yds with my bow. All the pigs were from 40 to 190 lbs, and were black long haired pigs.

[ 11-17-2003, 17:51: Message edited by: Major Caliber ]

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that thing even edable? Doesnt look it.

NH_Hunter

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to shoot one that big, I like them about 150lbs and under. I like to pick out one the looks more Russian, than a domestic pig.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just go to your neighborhood hog farm and pay to shoot the biggest boar in the pen? You could also back your pickup right up to the pen to load your "TROPHY"

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
That thing definitely doesn't look wild, in spite of the big teeth. Its whole shape is domestic, big hams, low shoulders, floppy ears, etc.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that I am a "pig hunter" Never shot one, yet. But being a farm boy, I have seen alot of pigs!! This pig wasn't wild very long in my opinion. Bought on Friday at local auction yard, shot following weekend? Happens alot. Way more than people know about. Archers are most often sold these type of "hunts" never knowing any different.

Posts: 40 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
seen "hunts" like these trying to be sold in these parts... it's NEVER a "trohy hog, x dollars" but ALWAYS "trophy hog, X per #" which is gnerealy 4x the rate of the meat hogs.

I've seen pigs like this, on places that want to have a reputation for huge hogs...

take 1/2 a dozen feral sows, big own, over 200... put em in a pen with a HUGE domestic boar, and raise the litters (best seperate them) like domestics, but 1/2 wide... round em up at 400 to whatever, and sell em to these ranches...

and, there's ALWAYS someone dumb enough to kill a feral boar over 200# and try to eat it.

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
Well here is the lastest HOG market report-

St. Joseph, MO Wed Nov 12, 2003 USDA-MO Dept Ag Market News

St. Joseph, MO Slaughter
Hog Market Open, Mid-Session and Close

Estimated Receipts: 300

Compared to Monday, barrows and gilts sold steady.

Pct Lean Weight Price
46-50 230-270 lbs 35.00-35.50

Sows: 1.50 lower.

US 1-2 300-500 lbs 27.00-27.50
US 1-3 500-700 lbs 30.00-32.00

Boars: Steady.

300-700 lbs 8.00
863# record BOAR x $8.00 {market value]= $69.04

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote