New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summertime Boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I left the house at2 am yesterday to see if the dogs still remembered what a hog smelled like. It was 79 degrees with a slight breeze out of the SE. The Texas Agri. Extension Service has some peanut test plots close to where I have been seeing a large hog track and I wanted to see if I could catch him in the field. As luck would have it, he wasn.t in the field so off I went to some corn fields.Hunted the corn until 9 Am and not a bark except at a porcupine which they tried to catch but failed. Had to spend an hour removing quills from the dogs mouth, (tongue, gums , roof of mouth,ears etc).Now that is exciting, removing quills from a dogs mouth while holding him.Anyway,about 9 am it was beginning to get hot so I loaded up and went back to the peanut field. Not there so I moved over to the next field which is a corn fiels and found fresh tracks immediately. The corn field has a waterway through the middle which has water from the recent storm in it.The dogs couldn,t locate the hogs that had made the tracks so I loaded them and headed to the back of the field. The peanut field and the corn field are both circles irrigated by center pivot systems. Now this leaves an area between them that is not planted that we call corners.This particular corner is a low area where Retama and weeds abound and also has some standing water. The mosquito's are horrible so the hogs love it. I took the dogs and started to walk through it ans told my hunting buddy to take the Suzuki and pick me up on the other side. About 3/4 's of the way through, the dogs deserted me and it wasn't long until they had him bayed. I radioed my bud and told him to release the stags. In a short while I heard the distincitive sound of a caught hog. I fought my way through the tangle and they had this thing caught.

In the background you can see the peanut field.Caught him about 50 yards from the last tracks he left in the field.Didn't have much of a chase because he was too fat to run(like me).He weighed 223 dressed.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go--did you "do him" with a gun or a knife?

Hot as Hades about 70 miles NE of you, but I think I'll go sit a while tonight. Haven't been in 2 weeks. 'Skeeters ought to be out in force too from the recent rains.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a brute of a hog. Nice going! tu2

Dustoffer-Good luck tonight. It looks like you might at least have a bit of a breeze to cool things off a bit.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real good story. Amazing where pigs will live, they don't need much to hide.

Posts: 4242 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
did you "do him" with a gun or a knife?

"knife" haven't taken one with a rifle in years over dogs.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazing where pigs will live, they don't need much to hide.

I have caught them in this mess before, I just don't like going in there.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on that big boar!

Too bad about the quills earlier though....

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems as if you get them out early then it doesnit effect them as much. The same dogs that tried to catch the porcupine also caught the boar. Just got back from feedind and there is no visible signs of the quills.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE BOAR ,EXCELLENT DOGS.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote