Notify
Tools

new family member & a 7mmBB hog
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
Forgot to post this here. I originally posted it elsewhere back on the 22nd:

Well, we have a new family member. Shortly after the big freeze that hit Texas, we noticed that an orange ball of fur would appear out in the distance. But as soon as we opened the door or made any sounds, he would be gone in a heartbeat. Through binoculars, he seemed in poor condition -- and I had wondered how he survived through the many days of sub-freezing temps.

I started putting food and water out for him, and he eventually began to take it. Still, after many days, getting within 100 yards was not possible. I can't explain it, but there was something special about this little guy -- and in my heart I knew I had to help him. So I spent nights on end sitting outside and talking to him, even though he may have been too far away to hear me. And I began putting the food closer and closer. One night, when we had progressed to getting within 40 yards without him spooking, he finished his food and then began walking towards my voice. I kept talking, and he kept approaching. I stood still, not knowing exactly what to expect, but he meowed loudly and wrapped his body around my leg several times. He wasn't ready for me to reach down and pet him, but we soon got to that point.

After that closer look, we named him Marmalade due to his unique markings.

It took a while for him to accept the rest of the family. The slightest noise or movement would send him running and keep him away for hours. Just seeing someone carrying a book or trash bag terrified him. But I could not give up on him.

Today, he comes inside and sleeps for hours. He wants to be picked up and carried and plays with toys -- and even fetches properly. He's been to the vet to get neutered and to get all necessary shots. He's still afraid of our small inside cat (she's 1/4th his size LOL) but is beginning to do OK with our two small dogs. This is a work in progress for all of us, but we don't mind. A friend of mine mentioned how lucky Marmalade was, but he has given more to us than we could ever give to him.

Anyway, I was going outside last night around 2 to check on him and see if he was ready to come back in (he'd been out there on patrol for nearly an hour). I saw he was stretched out on top of my truck, so I walked the other way to check the creek area first. In the thermal, I noticed what I thought to be a hog -- and it was. There's not much to tell here: I already had my 7mm Bullberry with the MeoStar R2 2-12x50 on the sandbags, so I just sauntered over and waited for my opportunity. When the sow made it out of the taller grass and onto a slight downhill presentation, I had a hard quartering-to-me opportunity and took it.

The 120 grain Nosler at 2651 fps MV entered in front of the shoulder, wrecked the vitals and exited the lower abdomen. The hog, which was at approximately 145 yards, simply folded on the spot.

Instead of looking to see if there was movement or possibly more hogs, my attention turned to Marmalade. But he was fine and still relaxing on top of the truck. He's heard gunshots before, but I wasn't sure he anticipated this one.

Guess who rode along for the retrieval while our little dogs slept? Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Glad you have a new friend,,, been following and enjoying it on FB... and nice piggy too!!... glad the flooding didnt get you...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you and the cat both.

Looks much like Judy Babe the wife picked up
at Safeway one day. I was using one of those
big wand double ball vibrators on my back a lot.
All the other cats and dogs were afraid of it. Not her. She'd be outside when I turned it on. She always came on the run and laid there until I was done. Then wanted her turn. IF I didn't run it long enough she'd gently hook her claws on my hand/arm asking for more.
She'd roll around where she wanted it run. I just held it still. Wife died, step dau took over and all the animals went. Hard telling where to.

Enjoy, Bobby.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5954 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang nice shooting. That MeoStar glass just can't be beaten for how it performs in low-light situations. I have one on my .375 H&H and that has become my favorite swine rifle. No longer stuck in the back of the safe thanks to the MeoStar.

Posts: 33 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 01 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you stayed with it Bobby. And another good feral. I enjoy cats and my black cat showed up at our house in cool weather before winter hit. I fed her and she stayed under the porch. So I moved the food closer and was leaving it on the porch. Then she had to come close to me to eat. Finally I brought her into the house. Like yours she is now sterile and has all the recommended shots. She thunders through the house with the dogs and plays with them a lot. No one is too hard on the other. All buddies. Keep on kicking. Be Well, RZ.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Aww, shucks, Bobby. Wasn't expecting a very sweet cat story. They can make darned good pals -- some of them. Nice work with the Bullberry, of course.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16506 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Love the new cat and nice hog!

I always enjoy seeing how these TC calibers do on game.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Bobby, is it just me or is the colouring of the rifle and Marmalade similar !

Congrats on a solid pig and a great cat find!

Stay well.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2282 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote