Find
Notify
Tools

Grissle plate and blood trails
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Do you guys find that hogs just don't seem to leave good blood trails...

I have shot a couple of hogs where I clipped the the top of the heart and the hog went about 40 yds but zero or little blood trail

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ditto mike,

I've only lost one hog in the last several years. I shot him with a 140 gr. barnes triple shock out of a 7-08 at 125 yds. I generally try to hit these dudes between the ear and the shoulder and take out their vertebrae. However this particular hog moved just as I pulled the trigger. Hit him high behind the withers. I found some gristle and a little blood where I shot him. I tracked that bastard for approx 400 yds over a two hour period through juniper thicket going downhill on my hands and knees. About every twenty feet or so I would find a drop of blood until it finally dried up. I think the best bet on hogs is to use a large enough caliber round to take out both shoulders or shoot them behind the ear. That way they drop and spin.
gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
What are you shooting? I bow hunt quite a bit and my broadheads leave blood trails you can find in the dark. Majority of the time as the pig is running off I see blood spraying from the wound. If you are shooting a small caliber they may be bleeding out internally.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have personally found that they bleed quite well. I normally shoot them with my big-bore rifles, so the hole is a bit larger, but even so, I have only once had trouble picking up a blood trail and this was only because I guessed wrong with regards to the direction the hog took off. Once I got my bearings straight, I found quite the blood trail including a piece of the animal's liver......but that's a story for another time!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I haven't found a "Decent" blood trail on a hog that wasn't shot very low in the body... Heck, even when shot in the legs, that doesn't leave a great blood trail, now do it?

if you shoot one midway up the body, you'll get very little, if any, blood until the cavity fills AND the hide "sloches" over the hole in the cavity, as well..

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Actually if you blow a leg almost off right where it leaves the body you get a preety good trail...even hoof prints in blood

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hogs and bears sometimes don't leave much of a blood trail because fat plugs the bullet hole. Usually with a lung hit they bleed out of the nose though, but a gut shot hog especially with only an entrance hole can be a tough trail.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I was not talking about gut shots...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't do what I did. I hit one too far back, I mean I centered punched this one, between the ribs on one side and out between the ribs on the other side with a 30/06. Good blood trail at first, but within 30 yds. the blood trail started getting smaller and smaller. Finally found it about 150 yds from where I shot it, after crawling thru the thick south Texas brush. Keep your shots from the shoulders forward. They can be tough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike-Jeffe--

Have you got all those prickly pear spines pulled out yet? Big Grin

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I still got one in my right cheek...and I am referring to my ass cheek

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
You just need a friend to extract it for you--

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Allen,

I am a consultant...I have no friends

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Mike-Jeffe--

Have you got all those prickly pear spines pulled out yet? Big Grin

got the duct tape after them that night... no pear splines...

but the @#$@#$@%*&&*#@$@#$@#$ flea bites

that's another story

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Allen,

I am a consultant...I have no friends

Mike,
You like in San fran.. i am CERTAIN you can rent a friend to help you with your.. ah,, condition!!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffe-

I meant to ask about flea bites--the last two times I've come back with a load of them, 26 and 22. And, I've covered up with OFF to boot. Guess that isn't cutting it, so I need to look for some other repellent.

And Mike-heard that line about lawyers and Inspector Generals before, but not consultants.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STexhunter:
Don't do what I did. I hit one too far back, I mean I centered punched this one, between the ribs on one side and out between the ribs on the other side with a 30/06. Good blood trail at first, but within 30 yds. the blood trail started getting smaller and smaller. Finally found it about 150 yds from where I shot it, after crawling thru the thick south Texas brush. Keep your shots from the shoulders forward. They can be tough.

It took me several hogs to realize that a hog's vitals end just behind the shoulder. A friend shot one this weekend. He hit it through the 'meaty' part of the shoulder. In doing PSI(Pig scene Investigation) the bullet barely clipped the lung and hit the artery right in front of the liver. I always thy for a ear/eye/neck shot if close. If far I'll shoot for the front shoulder crease. Most pigs that I've shot have not left a blood trail, but if hit hard angled through the shoulders never go far. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
capt david--

ditto on the eye-ear head shot. I try and draw a line from center of eye to center of earhole, and my aiming point is mid-way on that line. Works every time. I've shot a few at close range (under 25yds) with my .22 LR, but I shoot them between the eyes as they stand facing me.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Okay, but what if it's a trophy you just have to stick on your wall? Back to the shoulder! The more I hunt them, the lower I have started to shoot them. The heart sits very low in the chest, and if you can take that out, piggy ain't goin' nowhere!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Allen,
21 for me... seems your OFF is drawing em!!

just shoot them on or infront of the shoulder, 1/3 to 1/2 the way up... bang, flop...

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Front shoulder/neck shots are the way to go. as was stated "bang/flop".

Now the fleas....my next trip to Texas, I'm taking some sevin dust/spray. It is a key ingedient in most dog flea powders. gonna dust the hog, and if neccesary, put some on me! Texas sure raises some "trophy" fleas. Wonder how one would look with a full body mount?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We ran into the flea issue this weekend as well.
I think the south texas being so dry has reduced the wallows. Thus reducing the mud that dries up on the skin that gets rubbed off taking the bugs with. Not so many tiks as fleas right now --- ugh! We were scratching like dogs after handling the three boars we shot.

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I was in Texas this last week and shot a nice boar right in front of the shoulder. Or at least I think I did. The shot felt nice when I let it go out of my 270 WSM with 140 A-frame. The pig fell in its tracks. I instictivly racked another and watched through the scope. I was convinced he was dead, apprx. 30 sec with no movement. I set the gun down and then watched him run off. No blood! and I searched for over an hour. I aimed just in front of the shoulder about mid point (up and down). In fact I thought I spined him. I have never seen this in all the animals I have shot.

My second pig I dumped two in him immediatly to be safe. The first shot in the same location as the first pig then between both front legs as he was lying down. This second shot made him bleed buckets. The first shot hit the blade and angled up, takeing lungs and an artery out.

I have never seen an animal like this absorb bullets. I have not been to Africa but that may another story.

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
not sure what kind a bites i got but i got a lot of em...they must like me cause i am so sweet

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess that shows we're a bunch of flea bags.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Mike,

To answer your question, yes I have had bullet holes close on the shoulder plate. I have also tracked a lot of Texas hogs other folks have shot throught the shoulder plate with little or no blood trail.......not a fun time in south Texsas.

I personnaly prefer the behind the ear shot if I can take it. Otherwise I shoot them as low as possible in the heart.

I thought this might be a good time to post these again.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fleas heck, the one I shot had so many ticks on it I couldn't tell where hog begin and ticks stopped. They say that after a few hours ticks will leave a dead animal. Not this one. And of course ya'll know that everything in south Texas will stick you, sting you or bite you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had three more hunters this weekend--and we weighed the hogs before dressing. After we got them hung up and pictures taken, we gave the fleas a chance to jump off before starting work on them. Happened to look at the scale on one pig after the fleas jumped off--he was 6 1/2 lbs lighter!!
Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yeah I bet...hey what's the scoop with Lyme disease in South Texas

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike-I was at the doc couple of years ago not feeling well and he ordered some blood tests. I asked if he would test for Lyme due to my exposure and he said he would, but it was not endemic to S. Tx. I came back negative, but supposedly a guy hunting on a ranch about 8-10 miles from us contracted Lyme.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tweeked that pic a few years back to make the spine lower at the neck and show the lungs a bit smaller.

Some say it's close and others say the spine is still too high.

Mileage may vary

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote