New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd say some is better than none!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to my lease in Reagan Wells, Tx. this weekend. Man was it hot. Sunday afternoon I took a reading with my thermometer. It was 116 degrees F on the tailgate of my truck. I moved the thermometer onto a wood bench where it alternately got sun and shade. Varied between 110 and 113 degrees F. Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot moving other than mourning dove, whitewings and quail. Did see a jack rabbit carrying a canteen, he was sweatin' like a politician telling the truth. He begged me to put a bullet through him, but I said no mercy fo' you jack.
Sat out Saturday morning and saw a sounder of 9 piggies, but they were about 300 yds.away, trotting through the brush and the 6.5 Swede I was toting was zeroed at 100 yds., so I just watched. We set up some snares which were tripped but no luck.
We did happen to have some luck though. Trapped these five Saturday nite, which early Sunday AM, we promptly dispatched to that big feed pen in the sky. Hardball in 45 ACP and 357 JHP's worked pretty well on these dudes.
Skin them out, split them down the middle and put on the pit or slow cook. Good enough to make you want to slap yo' daddy down.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dukescav
posted Hide Post
Those are all super good eating size. I do hate having to race to the ice chest when it is that hot though. Seems like such a good idea to pull the trigger at the time and then you run back to camp so you can get the thing on ice as soon as you can when you would rather stop and get a cool drink in the shade (like shade helps much right now). Need help eating pigs, holler.

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: 07 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's so hot around here (San Antonio area) that the pigs have just about quit coming to my 3 feeders. 9 days and 3 trail cameras and I got 3 pictures of hogs--all at the same feeder. But, the sun has affected their brains too-one pic was Sunday morning at 10:45 -- while I was sitting in church. Or, maybe they are getting smarter?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Good work.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dang, Geedubya, am I invited to the barbeque? Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats GW! It has been over a 100 here for many days too.

Good job thinning them out.......

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote