Find
Notify
Tools

Now This is a HOG!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
I saw these last summer at the Denver Musuem of Natural History while visiting my sister.

We need to get Walterhog on tape taking one of these with a spear.......
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's only a rumor, but I think Colorado brought them up here from Texas,,,, [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

Entelodont

A cross between a pig and a tank, standing fully 7 feet tall and with a brain the size of a fist, entelodonts are cousins to modern pigs and other hoofed animals. Many of their skulls show evidence of severe wounds that could only have been inflicted by other entelodonts during fights. The bony lumps all over their faces probably evolved to protect delicate areas during an attack.

PRONUNCIATION: EN-TELL-OH-DONT
LIVED: 45 � 25 million years ago
SIZE: 7 feet at the shoulder
FACT: Omnivorous, eating mostly scavenged carcasses
MEANING: Perfect-toothed
CLOSEST LIVING RELATIVE: Pigs and other hoofed animals
RANGE: Asia and North America

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/beasts/photo/photo2_zoom6.html

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Wooooooeeeeeeeee! Where is Jurassic Park technology whey we really want it? To heck with velociraptors, that would be a Hawg Hunt from Hell! Quick, someone get Mac and his double rifle buddies and tell 'em we gots piggies.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The beasts were on a computer - animated special on one of the cable channels last year. Very interesting series wherein the scientists re-created the habits of creatures based on fossil evidence...quit ferociouos animals.I had been telling a buddy about it but couldn't remember the name of the critters...just sent him a copy, thanks.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot one of those last year with my 22 while hunting squid in the South Texas brush country..Folks told me it was a Del Carmen Catawaumpus, and had the front and rear legs on the right side shorter than the two on the left side..cuz they run around mountains in one direction only....but I knew that, I could tell by looking for Petes sake.

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good [post, Ray, I like you already!!!!!.[/QB]

Posts: 9 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote