New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber Question for Shooting Hogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys think about a 308 for shooting hogs out to 200 yards. I'm looking for a light recoiling rifle to set up my night vision monocular on. I can't imagine a situation where I'd be shooting out past 200 yards, with most shots likely within 125 yards or so. I don't want much recoil because of limited eye relief and potential damage to the night vision device. But I want something that will hit a big hog hard even if I'm off a little. Anyone had much experience with a 308 on hogs? I've never actually killed anything with one before but it seems like it would work well. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a couple 100 feet off a 30-06. Ought to be a great hog killer.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have killed a bunch of hogs with a 308. We usually use 165 grain bullets.
I like the 165 Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw quite a bit. The Sierra 165 HPBT Gameking has worked well out to @275 yards, and I have shot a few with the WW factory 168 gr Ballistic Silver Tip.
The 308 is a great hog gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Tony, is there anything you don't know about guns??????

I love it taping into your knowledge.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have killed my last three hogs with a 308 weighing from 125 to 175...

A 308 is a 30-06 is a 300 Win Mag...just depends on the distance

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
.308 will work just fine. I've shot several hogs with my 6.5X55 and it works well. Just use a good bullet and you'll kill 'em with no trouble.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
577 Nirto Express
Thanks for the compliment.
While I do not know "everything" I do consider myself a serious student.
Are you comming to DSC?

One of the great things about AR is that a person can tap into knowledge from all over the WORLD.
Thanks again to Saeed, for making this possible.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 is an excellent choice... Use a good bullet and you'll have no probs. At least 165gr would be my choice. My personal pick would be the 168gr Barnes TSX... I've heard so many good reports on it I intend to switch to it for my '06 this season. In the .308 i'm sure it's a real performer also.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my website there is a pic of a couple of hogs a friend and I killed. Both with .308s.
I personally use 150gr Speer Grand Slams. Kiss them in the ear with it and the lights go out. My buddy shot his in the heart with similar results. I absolutely love the .308 for shooting hogs at a distance.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308win and 150gr pills a good starting point for hog's, would be the smallest i would use on them in the Northern Territory.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
.308 is just perfect, but you would have to do your part (as with any caliber)

I have hunted lots of hoags using the Sierra 165gr HPBT and also the Hornady 170 FP ... mostly with one shot

I would say 200/250 yds is the maximun effective range for this caliber ...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308 can be a good slayer but use 200gr. bullet
recommeded bullet is Nosler, Oryx, Swift A-frame...

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just purchased a M700 VS 308 and I'm mounting a D760 Gen III night vision scope to it.

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
That is going to be sweet thumb

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Congrats for your purchase!! it looks great!!
I have seen more hogs killed by 308's than with any other caliber.....

But if you are worried about recoil, let me tell you that a light 308 with max loads will recoil the same or more than a standard 3006.

I used to have a model 7 and with heavy loads kicks A LOT.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo - I was actually thinking the opposite. Heavy rifle with moderate loads. The 700 VS weighs about 9 pounds and the night vision scope weighs just under 3 pounds so I could possibly have a 13 pound rifle with bases, fully loaded, sling, etc. I'd have to think that the recoil will be fairly mild on that setup. Not something you'd want to carry through the mountains but that's not something I'd do with it anyway.

The funny thing with these scopes is that you have to put your eye right up into a rubber eyepiece, so you don't have a great amount of eye relief. I have it mounted to a 25-06 right now and it takes a little bit of getting used to.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You are overdue for a hunt report so try it out and give us some pictures! Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't know much about those rifle models.....I think that with a heavy 308 and moderate loads you will be ok!!!
I trade sometime ago a night vision device from a UN soldier, it's russian and who knows what generation is, but that THING turns in dayligt the darkest night !!!!! I can see near 200 metres or more perfectly.

Good luck
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Night vision hunting is pretty amazing. As long as the wind is right you can usually stalk to within 50 yards of a group of hogs. I don't know if they have bad night sight or if they feel protected in the darkness but I've walked right in amongst a couple groups of 30+ hogs with my night vision.

The most challenging thing is learning how to shoot with your eye pressed right up against a scope. Also, follow up shots are pretty tough because of the muzzle blast.

I can't wait to get this rig put together and tested out on some pigs.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
That's going to make one sweet little pig sniper rig. Did the scope contact your eye when you used it on the 25-06? To bad you couldn't get a longer rubber eyepiece to extend the eye relief. I load some 150gr partitions for a friends deer rifle and they don't seem to rock you much. I'd say in a rig over 10 pounds they'd be just the ticket. Or maybe a great use for the lightweight tripple shocks, that way you'd have a nice light load but give up almost nothing in penitration. I think they make one in 130gr.

I just have to ask.... Can I try it?

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if they have bad night sight or if they feel protected in the darkness but I've walked right in amongst a couple groups of 30+ hogs with my night vision.

I've climbed down out of a high rack at dusk with them feeding around me and it seems you can walk up to rock-throwing distance before they move off. They must feel more secure in the dark, and I do not think their vision is too good.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:
That's going to make one sweet little pig sniper rig. Did the scope contact your eye when you used it on the 25-06? To bad you couldn't get a longer rubber eyepiece to extend the eye relief. I load some 150gr partitions for a friends deer rifle and they don't seem to rock you much. I'd say in a rig over 10 pounds they'd be just the ticket. Or maybe a great use for the lightweight tripple shocks, that way you'd have a nice light load but give up almost nothing in penitration. I think they make one in 130gr.

I just have to ask.... Can I try it?

The scope doesn't really contact your eye, just the rubber eye piece. But it still takes some getting used to because you just don't know how close it is actually getting. I've seen a guy get a pretty good cut with a similar night vision scope so I always a little cognizant of it. I was using 115 grain TBBC and the bullet when through both shoulders of this hog that weighed about 200 lbs. So the 25-06 will absolutely kill them, I just wanted to get something a little bigger. A good excuse to buy a new rifle, I guess.

Here's a picture of a hog that we killed with the dogs. We cut off the head because the dogs bayed him up in some very thick brush and he was too big to drag out by hand. Hard to tell by just looking at the head but he was one of the biggest hogs we've ever killed. Well over 300 pounds but beyond that I'd just be guessing at the weight because we don't see too many this big. He absorbed 5 shots from a 357 at point blank range before finally going down.

And Jason, yes, I'll let you give it a whirl.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That is going to be waaaaaay too much fun!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Walker
posted Hide Post
Yes 308 is definatly fine for pigs. shot warthogs with one and it takes them down easy. and also a great gun for longdistance.

Posts: 40 | Location: South Africa. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.308 is fine, sometimes too much. I have had good results with .30-06 and actually more damage with a .35 Rem. Even the biggest hog will surely fall to the .308...even HOGZILLA

A .45-70 is nice on hogs, but anything over trap-door pressure is kinda a waste. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent 6 years on a South Texas ranch killing hogs with everything from a .22LR (behind the ear or between the eyes out to 25 yds) up to a 7mm Rem Mag. Killed the majority of them with a .22-250, and on at least 3 occasions, I killed two with one shot when they lined up for me. Hogs aren't hard to kill--shoot 'em in the neck, ear, or on a line between the ear hole and eye, and they drop and just pedal a little.

Good shooting trumps big calibers!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having seen Buffalo and elephant dispatched with the .308, there isn't much that I would hunt with the .308 or 30-06...Your in fine shape if you stick them in the right spot, with a bullet of proper construction, like a 165 or 180 gr. Nosler Partition.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
dustoffer, I agree that nearly anything behind the ear will dispatch a hog, but head shots don't always present themselves and deep penetration is necessary and for this, I personally don't want a light-weight bullet at hyper-velocity. And oh yes, nothing drops them like the CNS shots that you like! thumb

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We were so overrun with hogs and with year-round access I was never in a bind to "shoot or else" so I was always able to wait and pick my shot or come back another day. Not many sits in the blind when I didn't have pigs in front of me, often on 2 or 3 sides at once.

I sure do miss that place!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice problem to have -- as long as you're not a farmer!!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
whacked this fella with a win power point 150g out of the .308

the projectile

thru both shoulders and just under the skin on the off side.
yea the .308 will work. thumb
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That is awesome you recovered the bullet Greg!

Looks like she did the deed!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
And it's a good hog, Greg! Congratulations! beer

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hog, nice rifle, looks like a mauser of sometype, what kind exactly?
quote:
Originally posted by greghud:
whacked this fella with a win power point 150g out of the .308

the projectile

thru both shoulders and just under the skin on the off side.
yea the .308 will work. thumb
greg

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
its a zastava, sold in the us as a 798 remington. but by all reports the quality must have bottomed out since i baught mine, beautiful wood, tight smooth action, shoots like a dream, looks nice i recon. lets say i wouldnt give it up for anything. thumb
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greghud:
its a zastava, sold in the us as a 798 remington. but by all reports the quality must have bottomed out since i baught mine, beautiful wood, tight smooth action, shoots like a dream, looks nice i recon. lets say i wouldnt give it up for anything. thumb
greg

A great looking rifle, I always had a soft spot for mausers as I converted a surplus 98 back in the good ole days for my first deer rifle as a fifteen year old. We had a great time together until I fell in love with another. Live and Learn. Anyhow great rifle, great caliber, and a great pig, congratulations.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess it works Big question what is the proper caliber for ney york sewer rats,,,,any bag limit??? kkh should of been there this mornig rattlersnaker

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.30-30 Hornady Leverevolution or Hornady XTP Sabots is all that is needed for hogs..IMO

I can post pictures of a friend that Jeff Sillivan and I have on another forum of hogs he's killed on his ranch in Texas with a CZ Mannlicher in .17HMR cal, all ear shot and not at real close range either.

Jeff Sullivan on this forum is also a good Ear Shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
.308 will work just fine. I've shot several hogs with my 6.5X55 and it works well. Just use a good bullet and you'll kill 'em with no trouble.

10-4,Good Buddy!

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
dustoffer, I agree that nearly anything behind the ear will dispatch a hog, but head shots don't always present themselves and deep penetration is necessary and for this, I personally don't want a light-weight bullet at hyper-velocity. And oh yes, nothing drops them like the CNS shots that you like! thumb

+1.... Central nervous system hits are of course effective, but are not always and option. I 'll take a de thumbep penetrateing bullet for the worst case senirio....

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote