Find
Notify
Tools

Re: For Canuck and jeffeosso
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
jeffeosso,

I said ratio, as in for every razorback shot there were probably 8 domestic hogs shot.

So assuming a nice even number for the tally of 1000 hogs (which is probably LOW) the ratio of "wild" to "domestic" hogs would be:

125 Razorbacks (wild hogs)
875 domestics

Do you understand now?

By the way, razorback isn't a registered trademark of Arkansas. Sorry to break that news to you. I know, actually knew (they are all dead now), gentlemen who referred to ANY wild hog as a "razorback" regardless of geographical location in the USA.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
You know... In my family there is a similar .22 rifle, a Stevens as I recall, and a 32 Winchester 1873, that have both killed hundreds if not thousands of hogs over the years. As I'm sure there are innumerable other ones across the country with the same story.

I was young the last time I saw them use one....I suppose it was a tradition more than anything at that point.

They loaded the hogs into the shoot, put the barrel about a 1/2 inch from head, and dropped them. Then everybody was lined up butchering them. A lot of the local farmers used to work the slaughterhouses in the winters. Before the widespread use of the bolt/nailguns, they used to bring their own equipment. Things have changed a lot, now most are doing it themselves, on the farm, in the winter...Just like they used to do 100+ years ago.

I don't doubt ASSCLOWN's post at all...just tell the rest of the story. The Domestic part being left out is rather important.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fireball168,

That ol' M1904 has killed a great many razorbacks too! No one probably knows the exact ratio of wild to domestic, but it is probably fair to call it 1 to 8 or so (wild to domestic). Most domestics hogs were shot with shorts, boars and old sows typically getting a Long or Extra Long. Razorbacks got it with a long or extra long.
Now there is "the rest of the story".

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote