THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Javelina officially OFF the bucket list!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Javelina have been on my bucket list for many years. After multiple failed attempts over the course of several years, I was finally able to cross Javelina off my hunting bucket list!!

I was invited on a doe/cull deer hunt on a ranch in South Texas (between Tilden and Freer) a couple weeks ago and got the opportunity to take these two Javi's only seconds apart on a cold morning. I couldn’t be happier....and to top it off, one of them was an absolute monster of a boar with truly impressive teeth! I am having him euro-mounted to go on my desk.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Some big teeth on that boar!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Teeth! It will make an impressive skull mount!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Nice. Quality photos, too.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wade.
The Javelina was my first big game animal
( they're considered big game in Arizona) taken with a firearm in 1974.
It was also the first big game animal I killed with archery gear in 1979.
To this day I have a special place in my heart for the little stinkers. Big Grin
Its skull is easily one of the most commented about trophies in my collection.

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats...that is awesome!!! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job, I turned down a chance to shoot one on a deer management hunt a few years back. The landowner said I could shoot but had to get it mounted, turned it down as the time money was kind of tight. Haven't seen another since.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 608 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Nice! Wanting to do that someday as well, now you've stoked the fire.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Me as well as pigs are my IT

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my only javelina with my bow is Arizona years back. Was one of my favorite hunts. Pigs are a lot of fun!
Congrats on yours, that’s really neat!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos. Please remember to post a photo of the skull when done.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Long teeth usually means a younger animal. The older a javelina is the greater the odds of it having broken its tusks in a lifetime of rooting. I've shot several whose tusks were only polished round nubs. When trying to judge the oldest "hog" in a herd, look at the callouses on their knees. The older the animal, the more pronounced those callouses will be.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
WOW those are the biggest teeth I’ve seen

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he ate only soft foods. Wink
Bill ( or others) what else is on the menu besides cactus for them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are pretty omnivorous, not all that different from feral hogs.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Never hunted them, but have shot a few when out after other game.
Stinky little devils, especially when you discover the cooler ice has melted and you are 40 miles of dirt road from pavement and much further from any ice.

Ate Javelina once at a friends ranch in the valley - different, but good eating because my buddy's mom knew how to cook them.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

How cool is that. Great looking pigs! One day ....

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
They are pretty omnivorous, not all that different from feral hogs.

Randall,
Have you seen any over in Young County lately?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haveb not personally seen any in Young county in about 6 years or so, but 3 years maybe 4 back, my boss got pictures of 3 animals about 5 mi9les southwest of where Lora and I live.

I do not think any of Robert's hunters killed any on his lease properties north of Olney in Archer county this past season, but in 2016-2017, two were killed on those properties.

4 or 5 years back, Lora and I were headed to Ft. Worth from Olney and a few miles east of Jermyn and back west of the intersection west of Jacksboro where 114 goes west toward Olney, Lora and I found a javelina that had been ran over.

I still occasionally see tracks on some of the properties where I maintain the feeders in both Archer and Young counties, but they seem to be disappearing from this area.

Wish they weren't because they are neat/fun animals to hunt, but the expansion/increase in feral hog numbers thru out the state is probably going to reduce their range and numbers.