New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 gauge slug?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been contemplating the purchase of a savage 24 c-this is a over/under shotgun rifle-top barrel a 22lr and bottom barrel a 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge smooth barrel. The barrel can't be more than 16-18 inches long so this seems like it would be about perfect as a truck/utility gun and a kids gun when they get old enough. It even has space in the stcok to caryy extra ammo. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these guns in general. I was also wondering what kind of accuracy you might expect using slugs or even 00 buck shot out of the smooth bore. Where I hunt you are liable to run across feral hogs and I imagine the slug or even buck shot would do a good job if you got close enough and hit 'em right, but my experience with slugs is minimal and field experience with buck shot is non-existant.

Thanks

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do most of my deer hunting in a shotgun only area of NY. Now, I can't say for sure about pigs, but I can tell you for sure that a 20 Ga. slug will drop a deer like the hammers of hell if placed right. Although I wouldn't consider it as my primary boar gun, I am certain it would do the job. Ideal piece to carry around, and have handy in a truck. I know, I have one.
I have no real world experience on pigs with buckshot, but a load dead in the face should discourage them a bit.
I would use the gun.

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tweesdad,

COOL! You have one of these? What kind of range/accuracy do you get out of that short barrel?

Thanks

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been in camp when, at two different times, someone used a 20 ga. slug on a hog. Dead hogs in both cases but one fellow opined that next time he would use a 12 ga. for more authority and a quicker kill.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend buckshot at all. A 20 ga 2 3/4 has what 8 pellets. Your effective killing range is going to be under 25 yds and maybe under 20 with buckshot. Especially as the pig gets bigger your range is going to drop becuase of the grissle sheild on the vitals

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I think the same thing is available in 223/12ga..

you can always load the 223 down

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote