Find
Notify
Tools

drive-by shooting, Texas-style
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

First of all, I am not calling this hunting, but it sure did help cure an itchy trigger finger that's been festering for a few months now... Big Grin

Got a call from a friend at first light this morning telling me there was a boar in an open pasture about 2.5 miles from where I live. It was on a place I've had permission to since I was a kid, so I grabbed my 26" MGM 6.5 Bullberry IMP and drove over. Right after going through the gate, I spotted the hog, and it appeared he was oblivious to my presence, thanks to a nice breeze that muffled the sound of the truck. So I cut the motor, made the 10 yards to a solid rest and touched the trigger as soon as the crosshairs looked just right.

Ranged after-the-fact, it appears the shot was right around 210 yards. The 129 grain Hornady SP took the boar tight behind the shoulder, demolished the lungs and exited through the opposite shoulder. The exit was fairly small -- about the size of a nickel.

My best estimate on the weight of this boar would be about 170-175 pounds.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Bobby. Nice hog.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin' Bobby!!! tu2

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Have gun, will travel.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, now is the pressure off? Or am I still supposed to kill that big boar? I know, dumb question. Wink

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
dustoffer-

Oh, this just doubles the pressure, right? Big Grin

Last week, my sister-in-law dropped off a DPMS with a 1:9 .223 barrel and a night vision set-up. It belongs to my father-in-law, and he wanted it sighted in.

I finally felt well enough to look through it last night -- and I WANT it!!! I've never had night vision before, and though this is just a Gen1, it sure would have worked with the moonlight we had last night.

Maybe I'll get to try it out before I return it. And maybe I'll tell him the batteries had to be special ordered and will be a few months... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice drive-by! tu2

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
well done Bobby

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
nice piggie!!!!!!!!>..... good to see you out..and ive got 100 rounds of blue-box .223 with your name on it....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words!

I actually gave this hog away because I just didn't have the strength or energy to deal with it this morning.

But I had a pleasant surprise a couple hours ago when the gentleman came by the house and brought me a nice, large shoulder roast. I'll marinate it in the fridge overnight, put it in an oven bag tomorrow, load it with veggies, some appropriate seasonings, a bit of water and slow-cook it for several hours. (Thanks for the recipe, jeffeosso!!!)

Should make for some good table-fare...

Jim-Thanks! Let me know how much I owe you for them.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Way to go clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You da Man, Bob! Congrats!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--if you think looking through a night-vision device on a rifle is neat--just think about flying a chopper at 140mph down on the deck wearing them!! It's a hoot.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That would have to be awesome.

You know, I could get used to this night vision gear in a hurry...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Good work! Good way to spend a morning.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I see you are back to your old antics -- slaying hogs with the Bulberry! Congratulations and nice shooting! clap

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Marko-

It felt REALLY good to dust off a rifle and pull the trigger on something, even if it was just a drive-by, so to speak. For someone who was used to being active and outdoors on a regular basis, being cooped up inside for much of these past few months has been driving me crazy (well, "more crazy" may be a better description Big Grin).

But it felt like I had never even put the 6.5 down; it all came naturally, and I am thankful it retains zero so well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, baby!!! Wish we had some of that 'round these parts.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive-by hoggin...

sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to me!

good job Bobby

tu2 tu2

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bobby!

I am glad you got to slip out...........

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ,i cull many hogs a year testing rifles ,pistols ,and shotgun ,indeed i even test military ammo and weapons for my articles and classes .Anatomy of a hog is eal similar to a human so tests can be very accurate .By the way we take all the meat ,that delicious.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good on ya! bobby!!
the 1st of many more
glad to hear you are up and about.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote