New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ambush Site
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, since the hogs have gone late-night on me on the north side, they have showed up in the river bottom pasture in numbers. Here's some of the terrain:

Here's what they are doing (some holes are nearly knee deep). Landowner was driving the pasture Friday during daylight and 13 adults and about that many 30-50 pounders ran across the road into the pasture from the neighbor's place. Unfortunately, the Mini-14 was in the shed and not in the truck shame

So, the feeder is up, and with clear skies and south winds, I'll be out and about Wednesday evening and on into the night.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pecan orchard, and if it is, there is no way on earth you will ever get them completely out of there... All you can hope to do is run them out for a time.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think think you can completely get them out of anywhere. I guarantee dustoffer will give em hell though..... BOOM

jumping

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't tell the landowner, but I don't want to get them completely out of there. Ever hear of working yourself out of a job? What would I do at night if I didn't have a few hog-hunting sites to haunt?

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
We have been hammering on the hogs at the Dilley Ranch for the past 10 years hard. It is starting to show by the amount of the hogs keep dwindling each year. We won't get rid of them but they are fewer now than there would have been.

They use to shoot 50 to 60 a 3 day weekend, now if we shoot more than 20 we are happy.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm out of here--with a .22-250 which now holds 4 down and one in the chamber. Hope the hogs show up in force in the river bottom.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NIce evening sitting under the stars, but the pigs were a no-show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't move around here either. I hunted last night from 8:00 till 12:00 and got SKUNKED.

The moon sure was bright though.

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heard from the landowner today--trapped 12 pigs in the river bottom--about 25 lbs each. Part of the large group he saw last week when he didn't have his mini-14. Just a few less targets left for me. Frowner