New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas hog hunt costs / method
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for some general information as to what a Texas hog hunt might cost. I recognize prices will vary, of course, but can anyone provide a general guide? I'm not assuming some fancy guided hunt, just the sort of relaxed hunt that can be done to provide some off-season recreation.

The second question relates to the most common hunting method for these texas hogs. I've read a few posts on this forum about shooting at night / evening from box blinds, etc. Is this the most common approach? Any spot and stalk hunting, or is the brush generally too thick. Just looking for some idea of what to expect.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Bill, I saw an advertisment for a hog eradication hunt in a magazine (forget which one) that allowed three hogs for $175.00. Hogs on private ranches can and will be taken by any method used for deer and even shooting from the windows of ranch trucks is allowed in some areas. If you elect to hunt a ranch with an overcrowed population of hogs, they will probably drive you to a feeder and sling some corn. At this point you choose the hog you want and start shooting. By the way, a hog hunt is an excellent opportunity to test and evaluate reloads, and to see the terminal performance of a larger bore rifle or pistol.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bring your cooler, hog meat is the best game meat there is.
Do not listen to all the old wives tales. I have killed two boar hogs over 300 lbs [weighed]. Both were excellent table fare. In fact my favorite size is 225 to 275 lbs. Boar or sow it does not matter, both are MMMMMM good.
PS. Hog meat on ice will keep for 7 days at least in your cooler. I keep my meat cold and NOT in water.
The primary thing is to get the hog skinned and on ice ASAP if the temp is above 40 degrees.
I have killed pigs in Texas when it is over 100 degrees, they hit the ground, bounce once, then it is gut, skin, slash, and they are on ice.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.lazyrhunts.com

this is the ranch I hunt and would recommend.

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I responded to the ad in the Houston Chronicle for the "Hog Eradication for $175.00" hunt. It is on the Leprechaun Ranch about 20 miles south of San Antonio. It's 700 acres of thick woods, blackjack, sandy banks, meadows, and a couple of creeks. My dad and I went back in 2000 just for something different to do, and the hunt and people were so great that we have been back every year since.

The hunting at this ranch is very flexible. You can hunt from a blind, a stand, or you can stalk. They do have feeders, but they use them only when hunters aren't seeing ANY hogs. I have never shot, nor seen anyone shoot a hog at a feeder. Each time, we have stalked our hogs with success. Sometimes it takes a day or two, but the diligent hunter goes home happy.

The stalking is pretty tough. The soil is very sandy, and the blackjack forces you to check every nook and cranny for a possible wallow or napping pig. The pigs range from 40lbs to about 300. There is no hunting or guide fee, and the price is determined by the hog's weight. I believe it is $1.00 or $1.50 per pound.

As you can guess, I can't say enough about this ranch or the guide, Bob Dailey.

Leprechaun Ranch
210-626-3153
www.leprechaunranch.com

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I've heard that some areas in Tennesee have gigantic Russian Boars. Probably pen kept! If you believe the literiature for these hunts you need a crew served weapon on a mobile platform to reliably down these behemoths. I'll take a well run Texas ranch anyday for quality of hunt and connnect percentage. Sounds like a good deal at this ranch.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one to check out. I have not hunted there. I did correspond with them looking into their hunts. Also, I believe Ray Atkinson books for them.

http://www.venadogranderanch.com/

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote