New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Scopes??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who offers the best price on the Conquest scopes?
Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'll mention both www.cameralandny.com and www.theopticzone.com

Jon an The Optic Zone and Doug at Cameraland are both great to deal with. Doug even has Zeiss demos from time to time, and that's certainly worth checking in to. Also, Jon occasionally has gret deals on his bargain page.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
You will not beat Doug's prices on a Demo model Conquests if he still has the model you are looking for. I purchased two more Rapid Z reticle Demo Conquests from Doug/Cameraland in the last month. Both arrived 100% as new as indicated.

JC

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Doug and Neil at Camera Land. Awesome prices on Swaro, Zeiss, and others.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check out www.EuroOptic.com . Alex goes multiple extra miles to satisfy his customers.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought from both Doug and from Alex, and both are great.

I think you have to look at just a little bit more than the final price tag though.

For me I have to give the nod to Doug. Why? Even if he were a few bucks more than the others, he takes the time to come on here at AR to answer folks questions about his inventory as well as newer offerings that may be coming up from the manufacturers. Moreover, he will also take the time to answer questions about which product might be best for your particular application. An invaluable service!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riaan:
Be sure to check out www.EuroOptic.com . Alex goes multiple extra miles to satisfy his customers.

I've done multiple purchases from Alex at EuroOptic. Excellent price and even better service. I was recommended to him by word of mouth from a relative who has multiple purchases from him as well. Same story -great price, impeccable service.

I carry a few of Alex's cards in my wallet in case a friend needs a nice scope. I know that people I send to him will be handled well.

BTW, he doesn't seem to like welchers. He posts the names and contact info for all non payers on his site. Big Grin A salesman with follow thru and cojones. What's not to like?

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim-
I have bought a couple zeiss conquests from Doug and Neil at cameraland NY. Great price, fast shipping and nice guys on the phone. But, that is just my experience.

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...eupold_V#Post2468718

fwiw,

I sell and represent Schmidt Bender/Accuracy International as a day job. In that capacity I see alot of glass and Leupold HAD been one of the best manufacturers in the 2000-2002 time frame from my limited experience. That said I bought SEVEN new VX-IIIs for various rifles in 2006. I finally got around to mounting two on Leupold EFRs on a pair of Anschtuz Meistergrade Rifles. The third Meistergrade had a new Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with the dreaded light robbing side focus. I will only tell you that it was an eye opening experience...

YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and it damned evident when you shut your mouth and open your eyes to the scopes. It was a stark contrast between the Zeiss and the Leupolds, however, no one had any question about the Zeiss's Sight Picture being brighter. Nothing said about tracking, holding zero, ect... However, They ARE brighter. This is one internet rumor that appears to be based in fact. I once wore a large green Leupold Cape and felt all warm and fuzzy about my USA Made Scopes from Beaverton, Oregon. That said when I started comparing them to Zeiss and Schmidt Bender they start looking damned average. Can only speak to Mark 4s and VX-IIIs as that is all I use from their line...

Would try a VX-7 but the Nightforces NXS is a better scope, soon to be Made in USA, and is priced similarly. Not to mention Leupold's dicked Quality Control of late. They need to concentrate on quality and not quantity...imho

Regards, Matt Garrett.
Matt in Virginia

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bough scopes from both Jon at The Optics Zone, and Doug at Cameraland.
Both are top drawer guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The following report is interesting in that it also examines DURABILTY in terms of handling the pounding of recoil. It comes from the Optics Talk forum. Of particular note here is how well the Conquest came out vis-a-vis the various Leupolds. The other big surprise was the various Sightron SII Big Sky scopes. The very disappointing news is that Leupolds and the Nikon did not do so well. In particular when we always hear that Leupolds are so durable. This test gives quite a different view and might come as a surprise to many.

I quote .....

"Topic: Multi Scope Test
Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:50

ILya, the VX-3 has made a major improvement over the VX-III. The swing in glass optically seems to stem from the targeted color changes, for lack of a better word, it's almost like "Euro Glass" in targeted coloration. In other aspects they are close to the same in clarity or image crispness. I don't feel there is big advances in that area.

I compared the:
VX-3 3.5-10X40
VX-III 3.5-10X40
Conquest 3-9X40
Sightron SIIB 3-12X42
Bushnell 4200 2.5-10X40
Leupold VX-7 2.5-10X45
Swaro Z6 1.7-10X42

Clarity/Resolution: Test, 17 line eye chart (black letters on white background) at 102 lasered yards. 6X on all scopes.

Z6-15 weak lines
Conquest 13 strong lines
SIIB 13 weak lines
VX-7 12 strong lines (I had the VX-7 @ 13 line once and could never resolve the 13th line again)
4200 12 strong lines
VX-3 12 strong lines
VX-III 10 strong lines

Note: The image size is obviously not exactly 6X on all scopes. I feel there is probably .5-.8 magnification discrepancy but, in my experience, the clearer/cleaner glass always makes the image appear larger.

Scope of test: It's hard to derive a % of clarity using this test so I've only used legible lines as a comparison.

Dawn and Dusk Resolution: I place the same chart at 98 lasered yards, the last 20+ yards being a heavily wooded dark area. This is almost impossible, I can do 3-4 scopes in an evening going back and forth but, the conditions on the next evening are never the same. I usually do 3-4 one evening and the rest the next evening if conditions are close. I then use another evening to go through all of them somewhat quickly just to verify my finding but all in the same evening. This is where the Z6 rocks the others.

Z6 14 lines
Conquest 12 weak lines
SIIB 11 strong lines
VX-7 11 strong lines
4200 10 strong lines
VX-3 10 strong lines
VX-III 8 lines

ILya, for the past 6-8 months I have been playing with other testing apparatus in between hunting.

As of now, I have designed and built a recoil simulator and have sent the patent info in for publication. I can simulate up to 260 lbs/ft of recoil, muzzle lift, reverse recoil, both for and aft recoil. Some of the scopes that I felt wouldn't impress have really impressed me. At 75 lbs/ft recoil with 2.2" of travel in 21 milliseconds. I have a Vortex Viper 3-9 that has taken over 2200 simulations and still hasn't failed. I have a 3-9 Diamondback that failed after 1500+ recoils and was fixed and returned in 9 days without question.

They will all fail, just a matter of when:

Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16X42... 1630 impacts........erector screw.. had loctite put on the screw and it's over 1200 impacts for the second time around.
Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9X42... 1260 impacts.........erector assy
SIII.............3.5-10X56...... 1571 impacts
Conquest................ 3-9X40..1056 impacts
Conquest ................4.5-14X44...996 impacts
Leupold VXII............ 2-7X33.....66 impacts.erector assy failure...Fixed and went 1077 impacts
Leupold VXIII............3.5-10X40..521 impacts
Nikon Monarch........... 3-12X42.. 336 impacts

ILya, these are a few of many scope I have broken. The nice thing about broken optics is you get a real good feel for customer service.

I got a VXL 3.5-10X50 from a friend of mine that has sent it back 3 times, parallax issues and erector that I can't get to go over 170 impacts. Leupold sent me a brand new one 2 months ago and it's back for the second time for erector issues. I would recommend against the VXL.

Haven't had a chance to put the VX-3 on there yet but will after I'm convinced my optical testing is complete, I'll recoil test it.

Just Having Fun"

Rob

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Z-6 must be something else with it's good glass/coatings. tu2