Find
Notify
Tools

Older Redfield Scope question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
I am buying a rifle (nice little 6.5X55 sporterized mauser)that has a 4x Redfield Widefield scope on it.
Should I plan on an change as soon as I get it?
Are these older Redfields any good?

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
acsteele: I have several older Redfield Widefields, at least one of which I purchased new in the early 70s. They are fine scopes in my opinion - all three of my primary hunting rifles have one - and I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry to replace one. I just happen to like them. Give it a try for awhile and see what you think. I will mention that they can interfere with the bolt movement sometimes.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I have a 3X9 and 2X7 from the late 60's one on
an 06 and 1 on a 375H&H. Work great.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the old redfields were the scopes others were judged by. If your widefield is an extremely early one it would be marginally old. The latter ones were not so good. the widefield came out just about the same time as redfield started its demise.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Thanks rof the replies, I was thinking of yanking it off, and putting it on a rimfire.

But, It sounds like i should give it a fair chance

Thanks.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
My friend has one on his 30-06 that is 30 years old and still going. He gets deer and hogs quite often. Seems to be a good scope. I have one that works good too but has not had near the use my friend;s has had. Leave it on 'til it breaks.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The conventional Denver Redfields were considered the best scopes of their day. They sold at a premium over Leupolds, whose superior engineering and quality finally knocked Redfield from the top of the roost.

In an attempt to regain market shares, Redfield introduced the cheesy TV-shaped "Widefield", hoping to trick gullible shooters into thinking that you can get something for nothing if you simply disregard the laws of physics. Not long after staking the future of the company on the Widefield, a group of company insiders left to form Burris, which was the nail in the coffin of the venerable old Redfield company.

While the "Widefields" are of good quality construction (equal to the conventional Redfields of the day) their entire premise (expanding the field of view without reducing magnification or eye relief) is a crock. If it weren't, then you would see it replicated in today's scopes. I find the TV-screen shaped occular lens patently offensive and aesthetically gut-wrenching. However, if it doesn't bother you, by all means use it as you will.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
"I find the TV-screen shaped occular lens patently offensive and aesthetically gut-wrenching. However, if it doesn't bother you, by all means use it as you will."

animal

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Redfield "Bear Cub" on a 1953 Marlin 35 Rem lever action. It suits its purpose on that rifle. It is fixed 4x without the "TV screen" look.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote