New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris full view issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Burris Signature Series 8-32x44 mounted on a heavy barrel .308. I am having a difficult time seeing the full view of the scope at many of the settings. I have not had anyone measure the eye relief distance, but I believe it may need to be moved forward. When shooting off the bench on sand bags, I have had the scope contact my brow a number of times (not enough to draw blood, but just enough to let me know it made contact).

Have any one you had experience with this scope and experienced the same? Thanks in advance for your help.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dodge Dude:
I have a Burris Signature Series 8-32x44 mounted on a heavy barrel .308. I am having a difficult time seeing the full view of the scope at many of the settings. I have not had anyone measure the eye relief distance, but I believe it may need to be moved forward. When shooting off the bench on sand bags, I have had the scope contact my brow a number of times (not enough to draw blood, but just enough to let me know it made contact).

Have any one you had experience with this scope and experienced the same? Thanks in advance for your help.

Let me apologize if this sounds basic but I don't know your understanding of scopes so I'll give my thoughts. The eye relief on your scope is from 3.0" to 3.5" I can't understand why it would be making contact with your eye shooting a .308. Make sure you are holding the rifle firmly against your shoulder. Not doing so is the biggest reason for "scope eye". As far as the "field of view" the eye relief on your scope is not constant, meaning it changes with different magnification settings. When shouldering your rifle normally, you should be able to see the entire field of view at it's highest magnification setting. If not the scope could be to far FORWARD and needs to be moved back in the rings. You also need to make sure your eye is centered in the eyepiece. If not, you won't be able to see the full field of view. Can you move your eye's around and eventually find the full field of view?(front, back, side to side) If you can it's probably your position on the rifle, if you can't you might have a defective scope.

And by the way........welcome to the forum's!! wave

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch..Thanks for your reply. As stated, I don't know if I'm in the normal eye relief range (3.5"-4") for this scope. I have about 15 other scoped rifles and none with this problem (although none have this high a magnification either). The issue of the eye being centered to the scope can also be dismissed. The side-to-side and up-down eye movement does not correct the issue it's more of a fore-aft problem.

Your comment, that at the highest magnification a full field of view should be present is not the case. This occurs more at the lower settings. Above 16X I need to contort fore and aft to find the "sweet spot"; often this is not the natural or comfortable spot for my cheek on the comb. I might add that this scope was previouly owned and harvested off of a trade by a local dealer/friend of mine.

Again, I thank you for your suggestions and commentary.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dodge Dude:
it's more of a for-aft problem.....Your comment, that at the highest magnification a full field of view should be present is not the case. This occurs more at the lower settings. Above 16X I need to contort fore and aft to find the "sweet spot"; often this is not the natural or comfortable spot for my cheek on the comb.

This is normal on most scopes with ultra high magnifications. My suggestion was if you have a full field of view when the rifle is shouldered normally at the highest magnification, when you decrease the magnification you will still have full field of view. The lower the magnification the longer the eye relief. If there is ever a time when you have to move further back (aft) on the rifle to get a full field of view at a higher magnification than the previous setting, I would say there is something wrong with the scope.

Edited: An easy way to do this is to put the rifle on a rest at 18x until you have a full field of view. Without moving you head or you rifle turn the magnification all the way down. If you don't move your head or the rifle you should continue to have a full field of view through the entire magnification range. You may have to move back slightly from 18x to 6x but never forward as you decrease magnification. Never forward if you increase magnification.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch...I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Hopefully, Burris will be receptive to correcting the problem. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you read the edited part of my post........try that first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try the 18X test and I may try to reposition the scope before contacting Burris.

Regards

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I just edited again saying you may have to move slightly back at the lowest ranges, but never forward as you decrease magnification. Never backward if you increase magnification.

<cobra44>
posted
If you bought the scope new there is a set of instructions for setting up the scope if yopu follow them you should do just fine and the scope is set to far back if it if touching you during recoil. Sounds silly but if all else fails read the directions.

One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
The scope should be moved forward or back in the rings to get a full field when shouldering the rifle. I's that simple. If there isn't enough space on the tube to move it, there are offset rings and extended bases to get the scope where it should be for you. Everybody doesn't have the same length neck, is the only problem. Several solutions. Don't worry, be happy.

Hippie redneck geezer