New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 100.00 scope ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know savw your money untill you can get something better. I',m not looking for the scope of a lifetime, just something to put on a beater rifle that rides in my truck. If it lasts a year or two I'm happy.
So What should it be and made by who ? It will gon on a cheap .243

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simmons has a new scope out that is called the Prosport Master Series. They did a good job when they brought out the Aetec's so I'm thinking of trying one of these for the same purposes that you mention.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw Jon's post below, he's the man to talk to.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
As often is the case, I will ask you to spend just a little more than the $100 you mention. But hey, it your money right, what do I care?

Get one of the Weaver K4 or K6 fixed scopes. www.theopticzone.com has them for $119 and $124 respectively. These are optically pretty good, plenty tough, will keep adjustment etc. etc.

It is pretty hard to find a scope actually worth buying for centerfire for less than $100. Unless purchasing used.

Now if you can find one of the Simmons Aetec's that were discontinued for around $100 then that is a deal. Those are good. And I forget where, but someone online still had some.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sightron S1 3-9x40 new in the box for $100 the other day, I must admit I am pleasantly surprised with this scope. I put it on a 6.5x55 and am now putting it through its paces and it is doing fine. This whole 6.5 project for me has been a drill in how cheap I can put together a good lightweight reliable accurate shooter and this scope was a perfect fit for my truck gun.
PS: all my other scopes on centerfire rifles are Leupolds and one Burris.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put my money on a Simmons.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
The Simmons are OK fom what I have heard but for 175 you can get a Leupold Rifleman Variable 2-7X33 NIB. I have the 3-9X40 as a back up scope and it only cost around 185. They are really good scopes for the money and they are Leupold so they have the lifetime warranty. I really think these are the best budget scopes out there at the moment. Do yourself a favor and just spring for the extra 75 bucks, you wont be sorry. Here is the link;

http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/99/rifle_scopes/...eman_riflescopes.htm

The big problem I have with most budget scopes is that they fall apart with heavier recoil and sometimes without it. The rifleman I have shows no signs of breaking anytime soon and it has been on a 375 for quite a few shots.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
There are usually quite a few on ebay at any given time as well. I have seen them go for as low as 110 for a used one.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still think a decent Tasco is just fine...

on a 243, I think for the bucks... their 2.5 x 10 with the mildot reticle is a hell of a scope for the price.. it also has the target turrents etc...

they can be had from $60.00 to $79.00 depending on where you buy them.. Midway and Cabelas carry them....

I have one on a 22 Mag Ruger, and the other on a 243 myself....

cheers
seafire
cheers

23rd Psalms!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a bsa on e bay for around $20!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have a look at the Cabelas Pine Ridge scopes (less than $100). I think Cabelas covers them with a warantee.

You may also want to check out Sportsmans Guide. They have a Iron-clad satisfaction guarantee on their products.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one of the new simmons prohunter from Jon for 99.oo I looked at one in a store and it looked fine to put on a Stevens 200

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can snag a Burris Fullfield2 off of ebay or Sportsman's guide for around $150 then you might not need to upgrade...

Granted the fullfield2 isn't the best, but...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pentax just came out with a line of scopes called the Gameseeker, all with Pentax's new bullet drop compensating Precision Plex reticle. These are 1" tubes, Waterproof, Nitrogen filled, Multi-Coated Optics, and are all from $90.00-$120.00.
3-9x40
4-12x40
3-9x50
3.5-10x50
1.5-6x40
2.5-10x56
4-16x50
1.75-5x20
Pentax also just announced a Worry Free Lifetime Warranty that covers everything including physical damage.
These are worth a look in the price range that you are staying in.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3647 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pentax just came out with a line of scopes called the Gameseeker, all with Pentax's new bullet drop compensating Precision Plex reticle. These are 1" tubes, Waterproof, Nitrogen filled, Multi-Coated Optics, and are all from $90.00-$120.00.
3-9x40
4-12x40
3-9x50
3.5-10x50
1.5-6x40
2.5-10x56
4-16x50
1.75-5x20
Pentax also just announced a Worry Free Lifetime Warranty that covers everything including physical damage.
These are worth a look in the price range that you are staying in.

Looks like lots of new goodies are coming out this year . With the Pentax reputation for quality optics , a full lifetime warrenty , and a price range like that , this sounds to be quite a lineup of low priced scopes........is the recticle similar to the Burris BPlex ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RiflemanZ:
I have a BSA I'll give you! My 10 year-old son refused to take it. pissersBSA

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris builds the pentax scopes, so I'd assume the reticuke is the same or vry similar. In fact some other models of Pentax actually come with the Bplex.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Pentax scopes are built by Burris with the Pentax optics and coating

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3647 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RiflemanZ:
I have a BSA I'll give you! My 10 year-old son refused to take it. BS

He wanted cheap!Smiler

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote