New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield multi-plex??? reticle info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend recently gave me a nice old Denver made Redfield 2-7 variable scope. It is the version after the 1" Tube marked scopes, (The 1" tube ones were dropped from lifetime warranty if they ever had it in the first place and were not one piece tubes.)and is conventional in appearance, both objective and occular ends are round and approx 35mm or a bit larger.

The reticle is plex, but it has two step downs. I am sure there is a "mil relation" type purpose for these. Does anyone recall or happen to have a manual for these dimensions? This is a great little scope and I would like to use it to it's full advantage.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
do not know about multiplex rectile but have book on accutrack

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfield texas | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to determine the spacing of the steps is to set up a calibration target of some kind at 100 yards, then compare the steps to see how many minutes they equate to. Of course you need to remember that this will only hold true for a given magnification setting; usually people are interested in the calibration at the maximum power.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SC's got it right. That's either the Accu-Range system or the Accu-Trac system. Both have the same rangefinding feature in them. The system is supposed to bracket an 18" deer (back to brisket) @ 450 yds. at the optic's highest power. That means that at 100 yds. the spacing will be 4 inch per hundred yds. (IPHY), AT THE OPTIC'S HIGHEST POWER.

If i were using that optic for big game hunting tho. I'd measure the spacing between plex post tips, ONCE AGAIN AT THE OPTIC'S HIGHEST POWER, and just use that as the rangefinding tool. That way u would have more rangefinding flexibility with it (2-X" spacings instead of 1). Once u have that measurement (subtension) then just plug it into the mil-ranging fomula where the 3.6 inch per hundred yds. factor is and apply it just like a 3-stadia mil-dot.

I don't go beyond 500 yds. with reticle-rangefinding tho. It gets geometrically less accurate the further out u go. In fact we mil-ranged a buck deer on the prairie about 4 hrs. ago while coyote hunting using Leupold's Varmint Hunter reticle and it came out 520 yds. as opposed to the lasered range of 550.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies. This is not an Accutrac or Accurange model.

This is a Plex reticle that steps down twice. I am sure there is a reason for this. I assume it is only a mil relation type formula, as in if you know the range is 100 hold dead center, 200 use tip of first plex, 300 use tip of 2d plex etc. The same would hold true for windage, i.e. wind value and distance dictates windage or perhaps even "lead" for a running target.

Never throw stuff away! I have had old Redfield scope papers with that information. I gave one booklet away because a friend had an Accurange and didn't have the booklet!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote