New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight Bino Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I do a lot of hunting here in Georgia, where there just won't be a shot over 150 yards, and for that situation, my Leica BRF laser 10x42 Binos are a little heavy, and well--just overkill I think. Some of these stands are a mile or so walk, and having a little lighter bino appeals to me.

All the binocular I have used are 10x42's, but I was thinking an 8x pair might be enough for this application.....I am looking for recommendations on a high quality bino that is lightweight, and also some input on power/objective size. I do hunt in areas where it is pretty dark, especially the last little bit at the end of the day, or at first light, so I am interested to thoughts as to appropriate objective size.

Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a 8x42mm would be appropriate. There are a good bunch of roof prism binoculars weighing around 22 ounces which would be 31 percent lighter than your Leicas.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've seen any 8x42's that weigh in the 22 ounce range.
There are some 8x32's that weigh in at 22 ounces, Swarovski and IIRC, Leica make them.
I'm holding out for a pair of 7x32's if one of the good makers ever decides to make them, in the 22 ounce range.
Don't know if you'd be interested, but I bought a pair of the small binox that weigh about 8 ounces. They are Zeiss 8x20's, and they are a splendid pair. I bought them from Doug at Cameraland. Actually, I bought them for the same reason you are looking for something lighter. Walking long distances with 33 ounce binox, or heavier, isn't a lot of fun.

Don

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Elite 8x43mm $980 23 oz.
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 8x42mm $300 21.8 oz.
Leupold Olympic 8x42mm $300 21.8 oz.
Leupold Pinnacle 8x42mm $380 23 oz.
Minox BL 8x42 BR $390 22.9 oz.
Minox HG 8.5x43 BR Ranging $790 22.9 oz.
Minox HG 8.5x43 ASPH $790 22.9 oz.
Pentax DCF SP 8x43mm $600 24.5 oz.
Swift Audubon 8.5x44mm $360 23.4 oz.
Swift Eaglet 7x36mm $450 20.6 oz.
Swift Eaglet 8x42mm $480 23.4 oz.
Vortex Viper 8x42mm $480 23 oz.

All of these are as good or better than any optics available 15 years ago. The Swift Eaglet 7x36mm would be an excellent choice for a good view in low light and compactness, lightweight. The Eagle Optics and Vortex Viper have an unconditional, unlimited warranty. You drop them off a rock and they get fixed or replaced free. You give them to your son and he drops them off a rock and they get fixed or replaced free.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for the Minox from those that jackfish listed....I have a pair of 10x43's and they are AWESOME. They are also MUCH lighter than my Swaro's that they replaced. Got mine from Doug at Cameraland.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, went with a pair of Minox HG 8x33 per a recommendation from Doug at Cameraland!

Should be trying them in the woods this weekend.

Regards--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great choice....you'll be happy with the Minox.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
My only concern with an 8x33mm is your desire for something that will work in low light. The 8x33mm has an exit pupil of 4.125mm compared to the 5.25mm of an 8x42mm. This may not be an issue if you are older where your own pupils in low light might not exceed 4mm anyways. If you are relatively young then you could see quite a difference in their ability to transmit light. I'd make sure to evaulate them at dawn or dusk to see if you can adequately resolve things in low light.

The Swift Eaglet 7x36mm might be a better choice with its 5.14mm exit pupil, compact size and lightweight. Certainly, optically they are very good. I think Doug sells them as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Garby,
Jackfish, that is good intel, I'm a little older--but had Lasik last year--don't know if that matters--my distance vision is great now....
I'll give some feedback, I'll be in the creek bottom stand tonight, it is dark down there when it's bright outside! The new specs do seem really clear around the basement and woods out the back door, and they are definitely a bit lighter than my 10x42 leica's!