New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski EL Range or Leica HD-B?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm wanting to get some opinions from those with some experience with one or both on which ones you all think are better, optically and rangefinder quality. I was leaning toward the Leica's but have heard that their customer service is just absolutely horrible, and if I'm going to spend that kind of money and something went wrong with them I would expect the customer service to be great, which is what I have heard Swarovski's customer service is.
I'm wanting to buy a set before this next hunting season, when I go to Colorado for antelope and mule deer.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
leicas service just plan sucks, swaros are great no great decision here

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica's customer service may suck but I can assure you that the HD-B's don't. Get a pair of both in each hand and you be the judge. Everyone's eye's are different.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica's customer service might not be great.....but that is because nobody ever has a need to use it! They have no experience...LOL. My Leica 7x42 HD binos are built much tougher than any Swaro, however both are about equals with quality of optics. Leicas are just built tougher and the internal mechanisms will outlive those of the Swaro and that is why I have the Leica's. My next pair will be either 10x42 or 12x50 to go with my 7x42HD, which is perfect for Pa. open hardwoods hunting.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're kidding yourself Woodrow. A simple google search will reveal all you need to know about Leica USA's atrocious customer service. It's easy to find.

It's a real shame because they do have good products.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was able to find pair of the Swarovski EL Range today to look at and was very impressed with them. The clarity is great just like I would expect any Swarovski to be and the rangefinder seemed to work quickly and accurately. No stores around here carry the Leica HD-B's so I haven't got to play with any of them yet, but after messing with the Swaro's I'm really leaning more towards them.
I've messed with older Leica's before and really liked them, but like I mentioned in my first post, between the stories I've read on here and other places it seems like no one has anything good to say about their customer service if by chance anything were to ever go wrong with them.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I have the 8x56 Leica HD-B. In my opinion it offers the best view of the 3 Leica models, but I'll concede that the field of view is a bit narrow.

I'd say that the integrated ballistics function on the Leica is a big plus.

I think the glass on the 8x42 Swarovski is better (certainly brighter) than the Leica 8x42. The Leica 10x42 is not a patch on the EL 10x50 but that is perhaps not a fair comparison (no x42 is) and also has no rangefinder.

The Leica eye cups are also larger than on the Swarovski, so one may suit you better than the other, especially towards the minimum inter-pupillary settings.

The focus mechanism on the Leica is much better, smoother and has no stiffness issues in cold weather (so far at least).

Overall, I like the big Leica, but I think that if Swarovski had an integrated ballistics solver and a 50/56mm version I would have gone that route. With that in mind I would wait to see what if anything Swarovski announces at IWA/SHOT first.

Recent reports also suggest that Leica customer service has improved regarding repairs. Have had no experience of that myself and of course there is nothing bad to say about Swarovski's service, which I have used.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
Own both brands. EL Range is what goes with me when I hunt/shoot. Leica is excellent glass and was preferred by my father when he hunted. Can not go wrong with either.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. The thing that I really like about the Leica's is the integrated ballistic computer, and really wish that Swarovski had the same, but for as much as I switch rifles I would constantly be having to change out data.
The biggest reason I want either the HD-B or the EL Range, other than the great glass, is just for the built in range finder part, so instead of trying to find a range finder in my pocket when I'm trying to get a shot off I can just range it when I have my binoculars up already.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a small problem with my Leica operating a little rough on an elephant hunt. Sent them for repair. Got them back all reconditioned, no issues, no delays no problems. I own two pair and think. They are the best for my eyes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jmbrown:
Thanks for the responses guys. The thing that I really like about the Leica's is the integrated ballistic computer, and really wish that Swarovski had the same, but for as much as I switch rifles I would constantly be having to change out data.
The biggest reason I want either the HD-B or the EL Range, other than the great glass, is just for the built in range finder part, so instead of trying to find a range finder in my pocket when I'm trying to get a shot off I can just range it when I have my binoculars up already.

The ballistics computer is really a simple lookup table; it adjusts everything from that. The G7 BR2 has a true ballistics program, but it isn't a bino...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Might be of interest - see the section on ballistic functions http://precisionrifleblog.com/...-geovid-hd-b-review/

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote