Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lens Cleaning ???
 Login/Join

posted
Using house hold goods what would you use to clean scope lens ?? I have greese smuges one them and I don't want to scratch'em..

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
either clean water or lens cleaner (preferred).

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some time ago a guy gave me a tip to go out and buy a box of those B&L lens wipes in the little foil packets. they work great, & you can take them with you wherever you go

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use camera lens cleaning solution, which is Isopropyl Alcohol and some blue coloring in it, along with lens tissue.
First, I use a camera lens brush to get as much of the crud off as I can, or some canned compressed air sold in camera shops.
Then, using the lens tissue with the liquid lens cleaner, start at the center of the lens and work out to the edge in a circular pattern.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
simply water under a soft flushing water source...

and in the fields this small kit:

http://www.titanium-gunworks.d...er/cleaning-set.html

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A drop of liquid soap in pint of warm water. Use a soft cotton cloth (old T shirt works great). Follow up with a clean cloth and water to rinse. Works great and no chance of scratching the lens or messing up the coatings. It's cheap too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is grease on the lens you will need some sort of a cleaning solution to clean it off. I have both the swarovski cleaning kit pictured in the above post and the similar kit sold by zeiss, both have all the necesarry stuff. I have also seen zeiss's disposable lens cloths available by the box for just a few bucks. They are basically lint free towlettes with some alcohol so they dry quick. Just don't use paper towel and you'll be fine.

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think roaches eat grease. Maybe box it up with a couple roaches inside. Sorta like using maggots to clean a skull for a European mount??
I've never heard of a roach scratching a lens.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the roaches. very ecologically sound. But I would select the roaches carefully, I have seen a couple cockroaches in florida that might eat the whole scope.

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help guys... Carpetman 1 I don't live in a dirty home so I have no roaches,, maybe you should try some cleaning your self..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wormin--You don't live in dirty home and have no roaches. How in the world did you ever get grease on your lens in such a pristine environment? Sounds like denial to me. Wasn't me asking how to remove grease from a lens. Forget the box--just leave your scope on your kitchen counter.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
If you care about it then watch this:http://www.usoptics.com/index.php?page=instructions

If not then use an old t shrt and windex or soap and water lol. Frowner

Not to be critical but 95% of the people out there have no idea how to clean glass without causing degradation of the coatings.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no way I would ever use tissue even if it is wet. I was told by a scope manufacturer to use the cloth and soap and then clean water (separate cloths). I think it was a Burris tech who told me that (not sure though). I have used it on my Nightforce and other optics and it works great. Obviously you don't use the same area of the cloth more than once. I start at the outer perimeter of the lens and work inward, continually changing to a new area of the cloth. It doesn't take much to figure that out. Way better than buying medical grade Q-tips and using tissue paper (that's right paper).

I was also told by an optic's tech that those pre-moistened lens cleaners can scratch lenses. She specifically said Zeiss. I know they scratched my glasses. I will never use them on my optics.

The cotton cloths can be soaked in the water/soap solution and then put in a zip bag to take in the field. Also a clean one soaked in pure water and put in a zip bag. I have used this at the range and it worked great. It beats carrying acetone, tissue and medical grade Q-tips with you. I also believe it is safer and way cheaper.