New
Find
Notify
Tools

DESIRABILITY OF OLDER REDFIELD SCOPES?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone care to comment on the desirability and/or resale value of older Redfield scopes from 20 or more years ago.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1309 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The flat TV screen Redfields arn,t worth much..In fact old Redfields are not worth much locally..(Idaho) But it changed hands several times and those scopes bring a bit more, as were the even older REdfields under a different name, Bear Cubs by Kollmorgan are fetching good money these days, and their target scopes such as the 3200 as I recall brings big bucks in near new condition....Hard to remember these things as of late, age effects memory.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The flat TV screen Redfields arn,t worth much..In fact old Redfields are not worth much locally..(Idaho) But it changed hands several times and those scopes bring a bit more, as were the even older REdfields under a different name, Bear Cubs by Kollmorgan are fetching good money these days, and their target scopes such as the 3200 as I recall brings big bucks in near new condition....Hard to remember these things as of late, age effects memory.

Thanks.

I have an older [maybe 20 years] Redfield Golden 5 star I was contemplating selling.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, there's "older" and then there's "older". The "Denver" Redfields, made by the original Redfield Gunsight Company, were and are regarded as quality scopes, selling in their day at a premium to Leupolds. There is some bit of demand for the Denver Redfields, particularly from shooters who have rifles from that period and want them mounted with contemporaneous scopes.

The Redfield "Widefield" (TV screen shaped ocular) also was made in Denver and has something of a following, but most purists regard it (and the similar Weavers of similar design and from the same period) as something of a passing novelty (not quite so novel and totally rejected as the more recent Leupolds with divots out of the bottom side of their objectives.)

The Golden Five Star Redfield was, IIRC, not produced by the original Redfield Gunsight Company but by someone who bought the right to the name after the original company ceased producing scopes. There were a number of iterations of "name-only" Redfields made by various Asian manufacturers for whoever owned the rights to the Redfield name at the time, up to and including those marketed by Leupold and made first in Japan then in China.

The market for non-Denver-pre-Leupold Redfields is about like that for any other proprietary Asian scope, which is to say there is not all that much demand.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the widefields. I really liked it and shot a lot of game with it.

It slipped off my shoulder one day while wrestling with a 6x7 elk head and cracked the ocular lens.

Dark spot on an otherwise great hunt.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Well, there's "older" and then there's "older". The "Denver" Redfields, made by the original Redfield Gunsight Company, were and are regarded as quality scopes, selling in their day at a premium to Leupolds. There is some bit of demand for the Denver Redfields, particularly from shooters who have rifles from that period and want them mounted with contemporaneous scopes.

The Redfield "Widefield" (TV screen shaped ocular) also was made in Denver and has something of a following, but most purists regard it (and the similar Weavers of similar design and from the same period) as something of a passing novelty (not quite so novel and totally rejected as the more recent Leupolds with divots out of the bottom side of their objectives.)

The Golden Five Star Redfield was, IIRC, not produced by the original Redfield Gunsight Company but by someone who bought the right to the name after the original company ceased producing scopes. There were a number of iterations of "name-only" Redfields made by various Asian manufacturers for whoever owned the rights to the Redfield name at the time, up to and including those marketed by Leupold and made first in Japan then in China.

The market for non-Denver-pre-Leupold Redfields is about like that for any other proprietary Asian scope, which is to say there is not all that much demand.

IIRC I bought the 5 star direct from Redfield on closeout. Still a nice scope IMO. Actually bought a couple direct from redfield. One was a factory blem as I recall. Optics were ok and still are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC I bought the 5 star direct from Redfield on closeout. Still a nice scope IMO. Actually bought a couple direct from redfield. One was a factory blem as I recall. Optics were ok and still are.

Yes, it is possible that the "5-Star" was one of the late iterations of Redfield's before the original company ceased business. Check out the markings on it to see where it was made. If in Denver, then it will command a somewhat better price than if it is an imported model.

The beginning of the end for Redfield was when a group of their engineers and employees left to form Burris. Ironically, Burris has largely gone the way of Redfield with most of its scope line now being imported from various Asian manufacturers.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Yes, it is possible that the "5-Star" was one of the late iterations of Redfield's before the original company ceased business. Check out the markings on it to see where it was made. If in Denver, then it will command a somewhat better price than if it is an imported model.

The beginning of the end for Redfield was when a group of their engineers and employees left to form Burris. Ironically, Burris has largely gone the way of Redfield with most of its scope line now being imported from various Asian manufacturers.

Made in Denver.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have a golden 5 star as well. They were the top of the line scopes at the end of the original line. Very good scopes in their time. Technology has surpassed them and I dont know of anyone who repairs them anymore. That is the down side. Still very good glass though.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I have a golden 5 star as well. They were the top of the line scopes at the end of the original line. Very good scopes in their time. Technology has surpassed them and I dont know of anyone who repairs them anymore. That is the down side. Still very good glass though.

Redfield scopes are currently being made by Leupold under the Redfield name. Or so I was told.

If I sell it I don't want to give it away for $50.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The beginning of the end for Redfield was when target shooters, particularly silhouette shooters, discovered their adjustments were crap. The 3200 was a prime example.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't feature a silhouette shooter using a huge, heavy scope like a Redfield 3200. Anyway, the Redfield hunting scopes had as dependable adjustments as any contemporary scope.

"Redfield scopes are currently being made by Leupold under the Redfield name."

Leupold bought the rights to the Redfield name and marketed Asian-sourced scopes under that name. The initial lot was called the "Revolution" line, was assembled in Oregon from parts largely made in Japan (presumably by the same company which makes most of Leupold's binoculars), and seemed to be pretty good scopes. They went to the Philippines for a less expensive line of "Redfields" called the "Revenge" line, which most people regarded as a somewhat lesser quality scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE Anyway, the Redfield hunting scopes had as dependable adjustments as any contemporary scope.
[/QUOTE]

Not in my experience. Jim Carmichel, in "Book of the Rifle" describes how Redfield dolled up their standard hunting scope and marketed it as a silhouette scope. It was a total failure due to unreliable adjustments. Weaver's Micro-Trac pretty much became the standard back then.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
[QUOTE Anyway, the Redfield hunting scopes had as dependable adjustments as any contemporary scope.

quote:

Not in my experience. Jim Carmichel, in "Book of the Rifle" describes how Redfield dolled up their standard hunting scope and marketed it as a silhouette scope. It was a total failure due to unreliable adjustments. Weaver's Micro-Trac pretty much became the standard back then.

I seem to recall Redfield marketing a scope as a dedicated silhouettes metallicas scope which was simply a hunting scope with an externally adjusted elevation turret. Running the elevation adjustment up and down with any hunting scope is a recipe for disaster. Such reticles are simply not designed for constant adjustment and will quickly wear out. I don't even trust the current ones (like the Leupold CDS) which are presumably made for constant adjustment changes.

But I'll stand by my statement that the old Redfields had as dependable adjustments as any contemporary hunting scope (although the old Weavers were hard to beat in that respect.)

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Old scopes are made with old technology, and the lenses are, in many cases, glued with resin. Called doublets. They sometimes turn yellow.
Just because it is old does not mean it aged well or is worth more than a current scope.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Old scopes are made with old technology, and the lenses are, in many cases, glued with resin. Called doublets. They sometimes turn yellow.
Just because it is old does not mean it aged well or is worth more than a current scope.

True, but in most cases you'd look through it before you bought it or sold it. In mine it was doing ok before I took it off of the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would anyone here mount this on a muzzleloader?

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

... and since Redfield never sold a hunting scope that was not image-movement, you couldn't even hope to find one so old it had a solid erector set.

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never cared for Redfield scopes, I did kinda like the 3X Bearcub that had no adjustments, but all in all the best Redfield ever made is the one made by Leupold today, its inexpensive and its a damn good scope, basically a Leupold it seems, at a $167.oo for a 2x7, the two I have have sure worked out great so far..and if not Leupold will fix it for nothing or send you a new in most cases, just like the do Leupolds, and you don't have to be the original owner...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Turret adjustable scopes was never their forte. Just because they made one dud doesnt make them all bad. I remember reading a write up, a scope shoot out including the golden 5 star I have. (cant find the damn thing now) It was tested with 4 other like scopes including a Leupold, the Redfield was the least expensive of all 5 scopes. The Redfield repeatability was the best in the shootout. As I mentioned before, the Golden 5 star was their TOTL scope from 1986 on.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:

Redfield scopes are currently being made by Leupold under the Redfield name. Or so I was told.

Yes, Leupold bought Redfield and they are doing a fine job of re-establishing their good name. I have the 3-9 Revolution. Its a good scope. They do not however repair the old Redfields.

The cheapest Golden 5 star on Flea-bay is $175.00. Personally I would buy a new redfield before I paid that much. I believe I paid about $100.00 for my 4-14 AO 5 star locally. I still think it was a good buy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:

Yes, Leupold bought Redfield and they are doing a fine job of re-establishing their good name. I have the 3-9 Revolution. Its a good scope. They do not however repair the old Redfields.

The cheapest Golden 5 star on Flea-bay is $175.00. Personally I would buy a new redfield before I paid that much. I believe I paid about $100.00 for my 4-14 AO 5 star locally. I still think it was a good buy.

I just gave it to a family member to use on their smokepole. I looked into the newer Redfields about a year and a half ago when I was scope shopping. Didn't find much for rave reviews.

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have an older Redfield 4-12 with front range parallax adjustment. I purchased it back in 1970-71 and it finally got to the point where with my now much older eyes I just could not make it focus on a target so I replaced it one of the mid grade side focus Leopold's. 49 years optical technology makes a difference.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Redfield 3X9; I believe it's called a Royal, and was sold as a scope for magnums (an eye relief thing), and I bought it because I have one of the first 7 mags after Rem started making them, and after the first scope I had on the rifle nailed me in the eye a couple of times I started looking into eye relief. Never had a problem with the scope, it seemed to be about like the early Leupold 3X9s except it answered the turrets better. it's in a drawer right now for no particular reason; maybe I'll put it on an old
Springfield I'm working on.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 278 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I never cared for Redfield scopes, I did kinda like the 3X Bearcub that had no adjustments, but all in all the best Redfield ever made is the one made by Leupold today, its inexpensive and its a damn good scope, basically a Leupold it seems, at a $167.oo for a 2x7, the two I have have sure worked out great so far..and if not Leupold will fix it for nothing or send you a new in most cases, just like the do Leupolds, and you don't have to be the original owner...

That Redfield sold Bear Cubs with no adjustments is news to me, Ray. I had previously thought their hunting scopes began with image-movement models. According to Stroebel (and he's occasionally wrong) all of Kollmorgen's Cub's had constantly centred reticles, too, though the firm had made scopes previously sold under the Stith name - and I would not be surprised if they had no adjustments.

I don't know how reliable the modern Redfields are but the ones I've looked through had much more tunnel vision than Leupolds do.

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote