New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarch vs Leupold VX3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How does the Monarch compare to the VX3 ?

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beat both ends of the Nikon shut and throw it off a cliff.

How are you at reading "hints"?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only had one Nikon Monarch, and I could never get any rifle I mounted that scope on to shoot accurately. Otherwise, people seem pretty happy with these scopes - nice optics.

I've had countless VX3 (or the VX-III predecessor), and they have all been very reliable. The adjustments for vindage and elevation were not very precise, but usable. That seems to have been improved in the new VX3 series, though.

These days, for a scope in that price range, I'd also look hard at the Zeiss Conquest line - or perhaps even the new Minox scopes.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don`t have a VX3,but have had plenty Monarchs,and have no problems with them.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curiously enough,actual hard use do seperate wheat from chaff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a Monarch 2.5x10x42 on a CZ in 375H&H.

Excellent optics and plenty of eye-relief (which was why I bought it). Linear adjustments, great low-light ability, has stood up to several hundred full-power loads so far.

No complaints... great scope.

Of course it lacks a gold ring around the objective bell (gasp!) which, strangely, to some seems to mean it's not really a scope.

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I have both and am happy with both. I believe the Nikon is a little better value, but the Leupold is a Leupold which seems to mean a great deal to some people.
My Monarchs are on a 338WM and a 22-250. My VXIIIs are on a 300WSM, a 308, and a 6.5x55. I've never had any trouble with any of them, but I do not abuse my rifles.
What is wrong with this "Busheler" guy? Didn't his parents love him? It seems like every thread I read is started off with some inane, sophmoric comment by him.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Busheler is BigStick(actually smallstick if you know anything about psychology)and is a professional troll with a napoleonic complex and inflated sense of knowledge.
He only responds to someone that understands him.
His goal is to try to make you look stupid, which of course, is his way of compensating for his shortcomings.
He's a 5ft tall alky from Alaska.
He's a running joke among people that frequent hunting and fishing websites.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have both and like both, but there are distinct differences in the two.

Re-sale.....Leupolds re-sale faster and hold value better

Eye relief.....Leupold is better here by 2"

Leupolds warranty can't be beat.

The Nikon has glass that is just as clear as the Leupold with finger adjustable turrets to boot.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have both and consider the Leupold to be better. But ever since I purchased my first Sightron a few years ago never purchased another Leupold.
IMO Sightrons are the best scopes for the money in the $500 range and under and I own a couple of Z's as well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold warranty -- Lifetime/Unconditional. If you plow up a Leupold in a pasture, Leupold will fix or replace it.

New VX III has detentes on the adj. and is more precise. The VX II had no detentes and the marks on the dial were pretty fat.

Look at Saeed's gun collection. He can have whatever he wants. Look at his scope choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have more leupolds then all the rest combined but have to say the monarch is probably just as good of a scope. Now as to the buckmasters and especially the prostaffs i wouldnt have another if it were given to me.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
I use Leupold Mk-4 scopes on my tactical "row" rifles and last year started using Nikon's Monarch's on my short field rifles. We had the opportunity to "field test" several models (Nikon) at a steel challenge last year and the Nikon did very well. Return to zero was excellent, ladder test was above average, parallax (wide view) was good, drop test (dropped from 3 feet 5 times onto a sheet of plywood) excellent and optics: (color transfer, brightness (3 lux), relief and offset) were all above average. It's a great scope but there have been some reports of quality control issues. So with that said, I like this scope and it has done it's job well. If you get one, check it out real well. The ladder test is the best method and if it passes this you're good to go! BTH and FYI, another scope we tested was the Weaver fixed target "T-series". This scope is unreal and what a surprise! It has a fixed parallax indicator and an adjustable objective lens that can be adjusted without moving the scope's POI! In addition it has a new micro-trac 4 point El & WD adjustment system that IMO beats Leupold and rivals NiteForce and American Optics. It was repetitively zero'd and maxed with only a 1/8" minute difference @ 100 yards. This is a precision FRC target scope 36X40 and does have a narrow view (so hunting is out of the question)but for target and competition you can easily do a side by side with any line scope at the range! And only $400.00 bucks. The price is the unreal part, it's sure to go up once it has caught on..?

Weaver: T-Seris

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote