Need Spotting Scope Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Somewhere in the 60 to 80X.

Any ideas?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19315 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's our pleasure to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Your timing is perfect as we are in the middle of our Mother's Day Sale.
Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3648 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tried a few.

Settled on Leica.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sent a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my old Baush and Lomb with 20, 30, and 60x made in Rochester NY only, they are costly and fairly hard to find, but hard to beat..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on your expected use of the spotting scope. If it will be used primarily on the rifle range to spot hits, and your shooting distances are ≤ 300 yards, a less-expensive scope is sufficient (Celestron, lower-end Bushnell and Vortex, etc.). I have an inexpensive Tasco spotter that I use on the range, and it is completely adequate for that. On the other hand, it you plan to use it in the field to judge game animals at long ranges, a better one is indicated--like Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, or Kowa, and maybe even Leupold.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 165 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like my old Baush and Lomb with 20, 30, and 60x made in Rochester NY only, they are costly and fairly hard to find, but hard to beat..

Ray Atkinson

They are heavy but you can find them on EBAY and they are quality.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I can see 22 holes at 200 yds with them on a calm, most scopes Ive tried will not do that. I use them mostly for rock chucks and pin heads, I have a tasco taped on a rifle stock for judging deer and elk in detail in most cases, but prefer my 8x32 Licas for hunting big game..My use of a spotting scope is mostly on the bench to save walking to target and back..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I agree with Ray completely. I have owned several of them, If the price is right I buy them, clean them up and resell them. I do always have one for my own use. I prefer the 30X eyepiece.
I also have a Kowa TNS 721 in 27X but that hasn't seen the light of day in years. Its a better scope, I just find i really don't need it.. I prefer my Balscope Sr.
You can usually find them on ebay for under 200 bucks, and usually with a 20X eyepiece.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had two until yesterday and I gave one to a young man I all but raised, I like the 30X and seldom use the other options..60X is just too much of a good "thang" Eeker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120