New
Find
Notify
Tools

leupold M8 3x
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats the eye relief like on these scopes? I might assume somewhere in between the 2.5 and 4x M8s? Or something different. I never had a 3x and have been thinking about one for a 375. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, the M8 3x is a "full size" scope (although still very compact) and has a longer effective eye relief than the 2.5 compact or the M8 4x, and a somewhat larger "eye box" (lateral window in which the full sight picture is visible.)

In fact, the old M8 3x has about the fastest sight picture acquisition time and most forgiving eye placement of any scope every marketed and is sought after for use on dangerous game rifles and rifles intended for close cover. It also has a wider FOV than the compact 2.5 model.

These scopes were discontinued a number of years ago, but I think that they are or were recently available through the Leupold Custom Shop.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the old ones were around 3 3/4". There seems to be something magical about the 3 power Leupold and 375's. Think you'll be very happy with this combination as I've had several over 40 years and loved them. I do not have any experience with the new custom-shop version but would guess it would be fine as well but regardless of what you're told, they are not exactly the same... power, FOV and turret housing position are somewhat different. Good luck!

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, good info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older 3X Leupolds are sought-after items by big bore shooters who have been around and know what works.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote