THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Swarovski 4X minocular rangefinder instead of binocs

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski 4X minocular rangefinder instead of binocs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In preparation for my upcoming hunt,I decided to go with my range finder instead of the 10X25 binocs I have.I feel that it is much easier to find what I want to see with them.Anyone use these range finders as binocs? I am trying to limit the things I buy that I will not use in my everyday life.That said,I am having a tailor make me a linen safari shirt and a saddlemaker make me a nice soft rifle case.[URL= ]a[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will regret doing that. Last year I left my 10x42 binos at home on a trip to the Eastern Cape of SA. I thought I could get along just fine with the 7x monocular in my Leica CRF 1200 and do without the binos.

For about 50% of your looking, the rangefinder works fine. But the OTHER 50% where you really need or want to use a glass, you come up way short. I missed out on some things I wished I could have seen a lot better when I left the binos at home. YMMV.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
It really depends on where/when you are going to hunt. If you are planning to hunt in low light or dense woods, they might be a bit of a compromise, but then so is a 10x25 binocular. If you are out in the open in good light they will be more than good enough

I use the 8x30SLC LRF in place of a binocular, but this is largely forced upon me, I am blind in the left eye so bins are wasted on me any way.

My criticism is that the LRF will fail in low light well before the end of legal shooting here in Ireland, and a long time before a 50mm Swaro scope, but I suppose this is to be expected.

The other criticism I have is that the image is "flat" in a monocular compared to good bins, I mean there is little depth apparent in your field of view.

To answer the question, if I had two functioning eyes, I would be using an EL 8.5x43 binocular every single time....

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
This is interesting. I too carry the 8x30SLC and use it for a monocular. It takes care of 90% of my viewing because it is light and handy, easily hangs inside a shirt or coat, and has the range finding feature immediately available. It is easy to hold the little SLC up to your eye for long sessions of viewing where the weight of a binocular would prove tiring. But sometimes I need to see more and for that I keep a nice 10x42 binocular in my pack.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.The Zeiss 10X25 is light and compact,perfect for the hilly terrain I will be hunting.I tested the two on a stop sign and some other objects down the street,100yds or more away.The 25mm objective makes it difficult to find the target quick and once you do,there is another delay in getting it focused.The Swarovski 4X rangefinder allows me to find my target really quick and requires no focusing when I do.This may be a plus in helping me get off a quick shot with open sights.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Thanks for the replies.The Zeiss 10X25 is light and compact,perfect for the hilly terrain I will be hunting.I tested the two on a stop sign and some other objects down the street,100yds or more away.The 25mm objective makes it difficult to find the target quick and once you do,there is another delay in getting it focused.The Swarovski 4X rangefinder allows me to find my target really quick and requires no focusing when I do.This may be a plus in helping me get off a quick shot with open sights.

If you plan on getting a quick shot, you best leave the Binos alone...trust your PH.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Squinting through one eye for any significant length of time will leave you unable to focus both eyes properly for a minute or two. Inability to focus your eyes could easily result in a missed shot opportunity.

A monocular (or even a spotting scope) is no substitute for a binocular. If you are hunting where accurately finding the range to the animal is important, then you are hunting where having an excellent binocular is even more important.

The same thing applies (but an order of magnitude greater) to clowns who think they can use their riflescope in the place of a binocular.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
A monocular (or even a spotting scope) is no substitute for a binocular.

Agree 100%!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote