New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye relief
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This may seem like a dumb question, but why is there such a wide range of eye relief listed for some models of handgun scopes? For example, the Simmons 2x20 Pro Hunter lists eye relief as 9-17 inches and this is a fixed power scope. I understand how eye relief changes on a variable, but why such a wide range on a fixed power? I've looked through this scope and with my arms fully extended I was able to maintain a full image although I didn't measure the distance.
The reason I'm concerned with this is because I've decided to spend the extra bucks and get the Leupold 2.5x8 x 32 handgun scope. I figure if I'm willing to spend $300 on a Nikon or Burris, I might as well spend a little more and get the best. Leupold lists the eye relief on this model as 18" through the entire power range. I've measured the distance from my eye to where I estimate the eyepiece would be when mounted and I get roughly 22" with my arms fully extended in a comfortable shooting position. This is a guess at best since its hard to tell without actually mounting it. Do scope manufacturers rate the eye relief as the minimum distance from the eye for a full image, or is it the maximum distance you can move the eyepiece from your eye while still maintaining a full image? I'm just wondering if the Leupold will have enough eye relief for me at 18".

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You can get a fixed power Monarch for 169 if you decide you want to go for a great value and save alittle.

I looked through one of those Simmons the other day and found it to be pretty clear for a cheap scope. It had the eye relief I need despite the specs saying otherwise. I don't think it would hold up on a big thumper. Funny thing was the guy had it on a 500 S+W Eeker

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote