Find
Notify
Tools

Scope preference
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Leupold vx 6 compared to Zeiss HD5...what are one's opinions as they can be found for about the same price.
Looking @ Leupold vx 6 in 2-12x42 and the Zeiss HD5 in 2-10x42.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't like high-multiple variables, suspecting they put more weight forward in the erector tube to lurch around under recoil and bumps. A 1.5-6 or 2-7 is good enough for most of my purposes and I hardly ever change the power, anyway.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CameraLand usually has Swarovski Show Specials - basically never mounted but display models are places like The Shot Show or SCI and they almost always have my favorite scope - the Swarovski S# 3-10x42mm with the #4A reticle - it weighs right at 12 ounces and has plenty of field of view.

If it weren't for the fact the V6's have a 30mm tube I have one with an illuminated reticle.

I tried one of the Zeiss HD5 in 5x15 and didn't care for it as I saw a band of light around the bore for about last 8" of barrel and since I hadn't mounted it CameraLand refunded 100% of my money and e-mailed a Postage paid return label.

They are easy to deal with and get grades on customer service from me.

Since you're in PA shipping will be next to nothing.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the Leupold, these fad like scopes that would make three payments on my farm and two payments on my car turn me off..A sucker is born every minute and the only difference in men and boys is the cost of mens toys comes to mind! sofa

A scope is nothingmore than a sight, and if it enables you to put the x on a target and hit it, and holds up to hard use then its done its job. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Atkinson, I agree with that. The marketing today is full of BS imponderables that buyers then kid themselves are important or even perceptible.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I don't like high-multiple variables, suspecting they put more weight forward in the erector tube to lurch around under recoil and bumps. A 1.5-6 or 2-7 is good enough for most of my purposes and I hardly ever change the power, anyway.

Agreed.

There have to be optical and physical trade-offs in order to achieve such a large magnification range. Don't expect such a scope to provide the same kind of sight picture and "eye window" that you might be accustomed to on a variable with a more conventional 3-to-1 ratio.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,
the trouble is, of course, that this kind of optics is an arcane business hidden inside a tube.

Which scope is best is beyond most of us, leaving only big numbers and percentages to convince us.

What caused the problem when something goes wrong can often only be guessed at.

That said, I'm happy to say my humble VX-1 2-7 performed without fault on my recent tahr hunt. It got dropped on shingle slides at least three times without losing zero and I used the gap between the crossing wires and a sidebar as a rudimentary rangefinder when the beast turned up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 2-12x42 VX6 is the most user friendly variable I've ever owned, used, or tried that my hunters have brought into camp. It is a fantastic piece of equipment.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've mounted VX-6 1-6x illuminated scopes on two .458B&M rifles that have been used extensively in Africa with devastating effect on DG. To say I am impressed with the VX-6 product line is an understatement. Any future scope purchases will be Leopold VX-6 illuminated products. The best hunting scope Leopold has ever produced.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I use is Leupolds these days. My 2x12 VX6 is remarkable.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote