Find
Notify
Tools

Anti Reflection VS Sunshade
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted
I m looking to do a little upgrading to my scope buy using a sunshade or anti reflection device.
Although I may just use camo netting to cover the lense insted of the anti reflection device.
Advice?

Question:
Go for Sun Shade, Anti Reflection device, or both?

Choices:
Sun Shade Only
Anti Reflection Only
BOTH!
Sunshade With camo netting anti reflection

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
If You have a very high quality scope, You won´t need any of those devices for 99% of the use...

On the range with a client´s scope we were not able to shoot without covering the scope with a big shield as the sun was in front of us. Then we used my Swarovski scope - absolutely NO problem... So... wave

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:
If You have a very high quality scope, You won´t need any of those devices for 99% of the use...

On the range with a client´s scope we were not able to shoot without covering the scope with a big shield as the sun was in front of us. Then we used my Swarovski scope - absolutely NO problem... So... wave

Oh, there is a bit of a problem though, the range I m a member too is facing west. So normally when I m there there is a window of up to 2 hours where you are blind. Last time I was at the range I used a rolled up target around the end to act as a sun shield.

Now that rifle has been 100% customized! The opitics on it now is a Conquest 3-9X40 Ziess

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Oh I forgot to mention that the rifle is used for coyote hunting.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For range work, if I can't find a factory made scope shade, I make them out of target paper, wrapping it around the objective bell, and with masking tape, fit it so it doesn't fall off. Some scopes I have do not have aftermarket sun shades, so I spend about 15 minuts making one right at the range. We have a period of the day when the sun is directly in front of the bench, and I can't shoot without some kind of shade over the objective.
Leupold, Weaver, and Bushnell have aftermarket shades in different lengths, and I have them.
But, for my Unertl and Mitchell scopes, I must make shades.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
For range work, if I can't find a factory made scope shade, I make them out of target paper, wrapping it around the objective bell, and with masking tape, fit it so it doesn't fall off. Some scopes I have do not have aftermarket sun shades, so I spend about 15 minuts making one right at the range. We have a period of the day when the sun is directly in front of the bench, and I can't shoot without some kind of shade over the objective.
Leupold, Weaver, and Bushnell have aftermarket shades in different lengths, and I have them.
But, for my Unertl and Mitchell scopes, I must make shades.

I picked up a Nikon 40mm shade, I m sure I m going to have to mod it a little bit to fit my Ziess.
Last time I was at the range I forgot that normal role of duct tape in my pack basket. So I used the taper of the objective to hold it in place, I would have been screwed if there was much wind.

NRA LIFE MEMBER