THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint scope: Best I can do for $150+/- ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats the best I can do for $150 or so for a varmint scope?

I'll be shooting target(noncompetition), woodchuck and coyote at ranges anywhere from pointblank to 500 yards on a .224 caliber rifle(chamber to be determined later, presently a .223Rem).

I realize I wont be getting the best there is for the money figure. But thats all my budget can afford..

I've had pretty bad luck with scopes in the past, even a $600 Leupold ended up being a target for my opensight 45-70 because it ticked me off to no end. My rifles generally see some harsh treatment, bad weather to wading thru swamps to get to hunting grounds.

The Mueller 8.5-25x44mm is about the only respectable unit I can find for the price. THe BSA's and other Chinese junk have nice prices, but I'm reading some bad stories about them.

If you have to track your animal, you aren't using a big enuff gun.

Posts: 31 | Location: Brookville, PA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted Hide Post
Natchez Shooters Supplies has the 44 Mag's on closeout. I like the heck outta mine!

Posts: 91 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd wait for some actual shooter reviews on the new Simmons scopes, this comparison Jon made doesn't sound real promising, except for the Aetec...

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127041

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

You guys had good luck with Simmons? All I've ever heard was horror stories..

Posts: 31 | Location: Brookville, PA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In that price range I think the one of the Swift premiers are the most likely to suceed .

If a 4x12 is enough for ya , the Bushnell trophy can be had for about $150 and they are made in japan .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys had good luck with Simmons?

The Old Aetecs and Whitetail Expeditions were tough as nails and clear, the other cheapie lines they had weren't much count except for maybe a rimfire. I have also had good luck w/ the 44Mag line.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've had extensive experience with the old Aetecs and agree with Reloader.

The Aetecs and Whitetail Expeditions were incredibly tough and clear. For the money they were almost impossible to beat. The cheaper Simmons scopes were pure junk.

I've moved on to the Elite 4200's almost exclusively lately though and they're unbeatable as are Jon and Tammi's prices and friendly and professional service.

If you haven't tried a Firefly reticle in a 4200 then you haven't seen a proper low light scope yet!

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mueller 4-16 or 8.5-25 are both in your price range

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
've had pretty bad luck with scopes in the past, even a $600 Leupold ended up being a target for my opensight 45-70 because it ticked me off to no end.

Why would you wreck a $600 scope when there is a lifetime warranty on it?You could of sold it to someone and they get the lifetime warranty.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look around here:
http://www.muelleroptics.com/

I have the 8x25 Tactical on a .17 HMR that I really like. It was $150.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can go the used scope route. You can find a steel Weaver T-10 in that range sometimes, or a Leupold 3-9, 6x, 7.5x, 8x, 10x. Lyman All American with Permacenter in 6, 8, 10x are excellent (I like the ones with dots).

One place to check (aside from Ebay) is:
http://www.benchrest.com/shooterscorner/

I have a Bushnell Banner 6-18x with AO that is about 10+ years old. I tell you, it is VERY bright, sharp and has excellent edge-to-edge uniform sharpness. It also has low target turrents. Not sure how the new ones compare, but for ~ $100, it's a scope I haven't even thought of trading.

Also consider the new Weaver variables in 3-9x. They are very sharp, crisp and bright. I have a new K2.5 and K4 that truly surprised me as to the quality of the optics. They were just over $100 a few years ago.

More power is a waste if you don't have the quality lens to provide high resolution (able to see details at a distance). I have a Lyman AA Permacenter in 8x. I can see the wetness of a woodchuck's eye at 400 yards with it. No BS.

A buddy of mine had some Tasco model 6-18 or 6-20+x scope that was awful. You crank up the power to over 12x, and all you saw was magnified fuzzy objects. Horrible resolution.

You can find a quality scope in the $150 - $180 range. You would be hard pressed to really need more than 9 or 10x for most varminting-unless you were pinging prairie dogs (which I haven't done), but it sounds like a 12x is good for that, as per the various threads I've read.

Also, check out the classified section on "Go Go Varmint Go" forum (www.varminthunters.com?)

Also, Kittery trading post (Maine) has a used gun/scope section (http://ktpguns.com/index.html

You can do a search there too. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RiflemanZ:
quote:
've had pretty bad luck with scopes in the past, even a $600 Leupold ended up being a target for my opensight 45-70 because it ticked me off to no end.

Why would you wreck a $600 scope when there is a lifetime warranty on it?You could of sold it to someone and they get the lifetime warranty.

Bah.. thats nothing.. I've put a slug in a Corvette I had too. ..why you think I can only afford a $150 scope. lol

At the time I had it, it was before the internet got big to sell online.. Being a small rural area, no one to sell to, nor anyone with money..

----

In reply to everyone else, Thank you for all you're information. Mueller is out of stock til March.

I'm gonna see what all is available locally of what was suggested, then go from there.

Thanks alot! I really appreciate everyone's input.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Check out oneclickshooting.com . I just bought a Mueller from them a few weeks ago. Great scope.

The Simmions Whitetail Expedition is on my other varmit rig, and is a good scope also.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Simmons Whitetail Expedition is a great scope, they are a little heavy, but that's not a drawback on a varmit rig.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...even a $600 Leupold ended up being a target for my opensight 45-70 because it ticked me off to no end....

I've put a slug in a Corvette I had too.

So you shoot holes in $600 scopes, and shoot holes in Corvettes that you owned, but can only afford a $150 scope??

I ain't buying this story....

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not buying it either... I jes' don't make sense... Roll Eyes

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True events.

I was making much more money during the time periods that I owned the Leupold and Vette. I make about 1/2 now that I did then, approx 11-12 years ago. Nor at the time did I have to support (2) children on my own, or a cheating (ex)wife blowing $20K+ worth of cocaine up her nose paid for with items she purchased with credit cards.

Anyways. An uncle of mine sold me a 6-18x50 Bushnell Banner for real cheap. I'm still gonna pickup another scope in a couple months for a 17hmr rifle for the kids. A shop about 30mile from here carries just about everything you guys suggested.

Thanck you again for the input. It was really appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an el-cheap-o Simmons Whitetail Classic in 6.5x20x50 on top of my CZ 527 in .223 Remington. I paid all of $99 plus $10 shipping and handling from SWFA in 2000. Last time I looked SWFA still has them. It has been a great scope for the price. Sure, picking off p-dogs at 400 plus yards makes them look a tiny-bit fuzzy, even after adjusting the paralax adjustment on the objective lens objective. However, it is still good enough to put the crosshairs on the target and squeeze off a shot or two. At 200 yards set on 20 power and with the paralex adjusted you can see .22 caliber bullet holes in a white target. The down side is, the scope is as ugly as a bucket full of assholes. It weighs 22.1 ounces and on top of that petite little CZ 527 with a mini-mauser action, the 50mm lens looks like I mounted a television set on top of my rifle. I plan on checking out the new Simmons Pro-Hunter Master Series in 6x18x40 with a side focus to replace it with when the master series becomes available near the end of this month. Other than the scope being ugly and at 22.1 ounces, I have never had any complaints at all. For the money, you simply can't beat them. I hope this helps. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
I would save a few more dollars up and buy a Nikon Buckmaster or a Sightron S2.
Or, as already stated, buy a used scope somewhere.

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote