Picture of Jarrod
posted
How much eye relief do you think is needed for something like a 375H&H

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jarrod,

In my experience, in a well fiting stock, 3,5" is entirely adecuate. 4" is better.

Regards

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking only for myself, 4 inches minimum. Nothing wrong with 2.5x IER ("Scout") scope, either.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just be aware that it's possible to sneak up on a scope, particularly shooting off the bench. I found this out the hard way on a .458 Win. Mag. I got a nice view of the reticle on the bench and got smacked in the face. Fortunately I was wearing shooting glasses and had a rubber end cap on the eyepiece. Still slapped me in the face pretty good.

One time on that is all it takes! clap

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have approx. 3,5 " with a light rifle for a .375H&H and that´s OK with me... shooting only full loads with 300 grs...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
For me, if I can't stick my whole hand sideways between my frame of my glasses and the eye piece of the scope, it's not enough. Probably about 4+ inches.

That way you have some extra room, just in case you crawl up the stock a bit in your excitement.

Mine wears an old Nikon 1.5-4.5x right now. But I just called Cameraland to get a couple Vortex vipers, and one of the two 2-7x's I ordered is gonna go on my 375. Gonna see how that fits.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote