New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Omega Cabelas vs. Midway
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will edit this post since it got moved and explain more. I found the 5 inch eye relief works well with the Nikon Omega black powder scope for my big bore CZ550 rifles. Excellent clear optics and good field view in 1.65-5x model. I have one on my 458Lott and planning a second on my 505 Gibbs. This scope requires the use of a weaver base, a bolt on option sold by CZ. With the base I can mount the scope forward to take advantage of the 5 inch eye relief. Without the base mounting is imposable. Ok, that the background, below is my post from the big bore forum:

I was just looking at placing my first order from Midway. I usually use Cabelas, but Midway has a reticle option on the Omega scope I prefer and another small item not carried by Cabelas. I dont like the range finder crap, prefer a simple duplex.

What I am finding is every item at Midway is more. Rings $10 more, scope $10 more, free shipping vs pay shipping. For the same order It looks like $360 Cabela vs. $400 Midway. Give or take.

The typical Cabelas discount coupon is about 10%, so If I got the order up to $400, would get another $40 off. That would make for almost $100 more with Midway (If I had a coupon, which I just used up)

All told, more/less 20% higher at Midway.

I see a box for promotion code on the midway checkout. Is that required to avoid a screwing?

Question is, what do you all think of this pricing difference and does Midway offer some big discount I dont know about?

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I think you hit it on the head. Cabelas is generally about 10% less expensive. If you add the free shipping or $20 discount code they send every month or so, they beat Midway by 15 to 20%.
I bought my last leupold scope from cabelas because it was free shipping and 10% off. I ended up saving about $45.00 vs Midway.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Cabelas does have some good buys especially if you take advantage of the coupons they send out...

Midway has a bigger selection (at least of the stuff I buy)...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
opticsplanet on ebay has the scope your looking for ( nikon omega blackpodwer 1.65 x 5 x36 with nikoplex crosshairs and 5" relief)) for 229.95 plus free shipping. look it up and give opticsplanet a call. you don't have to go through ebay to buy. look under nikon scopes on ebay and its on page 3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just got on opticsplanet web site after my last post. the nikon omega 1.65 x 5 x36 scope is on sale for 199.95, your choice of matte or camo and bdc or nikoplex crosshairs and free shipping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks sb42.

I will look at that. I got a lead on another online vendor graf&sons. prices are good. At least a good as cabelas, after all discounts.

Oh, I see your 2nd post $200, that beats graf by 10 and Cabelas by 30. Good deal. Free shipping! I am on that puppy.

Muchas Gracias

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Both Cabela's and Midway have some of the highest optic prices out there. Graf & Sons, Bear Basin, SWFA, and the Optic Zone will all give you better prices and good customer service.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually find Cabelas and Midway to be the same for the things I buy and both being more than the other sites already mentioned. To add a couple more: Natchez Shooters Supply and MidSouth Shooters. Natchez isn't always better priced but I have found some screaming deals from them. I haven't purchased from MidSouth but their online prices are lower than Cabelas(not counting coupons).

Posts: 27 | Location: Pullman, WA | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote