New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have many Leupold scopes but I must say I am concerned about their present quality level. I bought a VX6 scope with the CDS feature. I expected with a $1K price it to be the best. My CDS dial arrived and when I began installing it I found almost the entire adjustment mechanism to be plastic. I have a couple VX7s that are built like tanks. This system's components seems very fragile to me. I know Leupold will replace and repair but what happens to that plastic under impact or sub zero temperatures in the field? I just don't see the toughness I expected.
I'm curious to hear how well this scope has held up for others. I remember reading Begno saying he had switched to this scope for most of his guns because he liked it so much.
I am not a Leupold basher and have More Leupolds than all others combined. I'm just concerned.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I had a similar experience, pulled up the elevation knob to reset to zero and it popped out in my hand, yikes. I snapped it back in and no further problems. That being said I have used the scope on two African hunts and on two separate rifles both in 450 Rigby. I estimate about three hundred rounds with it on. So it is tough. I did a brief review of this scope earlier and I think it's a great value. In my opinion you can't go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I put VX6 1-6x on two .458B&M rifles and both have been used in Africa without any issues. I too have been impressed with this scope and have plans to replace some other Leopold scopes with the VX6 line.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I have many Leupold scopes but I must say I am concerned about their present quality level. I bought a VX6 scope with the CDS feature. I expected with a $1K price it to be the best. My CDS dial arrived and when I began installing it I found almost the entire adjustment mechanism to be plastic. I have a couple VX7s that are built like tanks. This system's components seems very fragile to me. I know Leupold will replace and repair but what happens to that plastic under impact or sub zero temperatures in the field? I just don't see the toughness I expected.
I'm curious to hear how well this scope has held up for others. I remember reading Begno saying he had switched to this scope for most of his guns because he liked it so much.
I am not a Leupold basher and have More Leupolds than all others combined. I'm just concerned.

You're worrying about nothing. I have a 2-12x42 and 3-18x44 VX6, both with CDS and they've been tough, accurate, repeatable, and have fantastic glass. They both have 2-300 rounds through them.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear from "satisfied customers". I love the optics and the weight and size is ideal. I have some German 30MM scopes that seem to dwarf the rifle. I look forward to going to the range with it.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two, all good!

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you've told us this stuff, LJS - it just feeds my paranoia.

Posts: 5001 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
price does not necessarily mean quality in optics these days..I still buy the M8 vari x 11's and 1 Leupolds as they have served me for maybe 65 years best I recall..I still buy m8s at the pawn shops for half price and the Leupold guarantee is still good.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote