New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex optics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A young friend of mine bought a new Vortex rangefinder, the one that is supposed to range to 2200 yds. The unit didn't work correctly so he sent it back under their lifetime warranty plan. They sent him back a beat to crap used unit in place of his brand new one. The only thing right about this beat up rangefinder is that it works correctly. Have any of you Vortex users had a similar experience?

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
What did you expect from something made in China?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not been impressed with anything Vortex. Leupold is the best all around.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A young friend of mine bought a new Vortex

Such brands are usually purchased by the young -- and inexperienced. That same cohort of buyers also seems to be impressed by large scope objectives, excessive magnification, and anything labelled "tactical".

But at least they can still piss further than between their boots. I'd swap a little good taste and better judgement for the ability to piss over a five-wire fence again (and the other capabilities that go along with that Wink ).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had to send in anything under their warranty, so I can't really comment on that.

I do have 3 scopes now by them and the glass to my eye is the same as the NXS on the first 2 (PST line gen 1) and the last one (PST gen 11) is better. That is comparing a $1000 scope to a $2000 one now.

I gave up on Leupold 17 years ago, I wouldn't say they are best all around.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
About nine months ago I damaged a Vortex Crossfire scope (no fault of the scope). I sent it to them and they sent me a brand new one with no questions asked and about a week turnaround time.

So my one-and-only dealing with them was positive.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
What did you expect from something made in China?

They do make nuclear weapons, perhaps you would like to drop Chinese made on New York city. Shouldn't be a problem if you think Chinese made is crap Wink

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call and talk with someone at Vortex. They have a good reputation for their service, and I would be surprised if they didn't work with you.

Like Matt, I have one experience with them on a broken Diamondback scope. Sent in broken scope, got back new scope. No issues.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How reliable are the adjustments on Vortex scopes? I am a big NXS fan (used to be Leupold) for long range scopes.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have never used anything Vortex but know that they do realise there is a problem with the modern image-movement riflescope concept, patenting improvements that aim to limit damage to erector tubes by recoil and winding the knobs.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote