Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes with 1/2 MOA adjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
I've been exploring the possibility of a tactical scope for my 6.5 mm SAUM.

However, most of them have 1/2 MOA adjustment, where I've always been accustomed to 1/4 MOA adjustment.

So am I disadvantaged when using a scope with 1/2 MOA adjustments. Someone please educate me!

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see that you would be disadvantaged with .5 adjustments versus .25, just requires half as many "clicks" to get where you want to be on target. Now a bench shooter w/ 22lr caliber and trying to keep the shots in same hole may want finer adjustments, but that's another world of shooting. Never cared for the .125 adjustments for it requires so many clicks to get there and usually counted revolutions of the drums, pain in the rear for me. Some tactical optics are a full 1moa/click for fast target acquisition purposes at varying ranges, say 100 to 700yds+. Keep in mind that the targets for so called tactical optics are not ground squirrels, small targets, usually something on the order of 18" wide by 6'.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For hunting I like 1/2 moa... but it's chaos.... all the other scopes are 1/4 moa and I always dial it wrong somewhere along the way. If you do drop charts do them in clicks not moa if you are accustomed to a different calibration.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have both 1/2 and 1/4 MOA adjustments on my hunting scopes. Frankly, once they are zeroed I don't make many corrections in the field. At the ranges around here there is virtually no need. Now on my target rifles, an entirely different matter.

Small targets require small corrections. Large targets can get by with less.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote