New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold customer service experience...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've always thought Leupold's products were over-priced despite the onslaught of anecdotes from owners regarding Leupold's "we-go-way-out-of-our-way-to-ensure-you're-satisfied" customer service. I guess experiencing is believing:

I bought a used M8 2x20mm handgun scope on EBay from a seller who said he'd bought it used about five years ago. Selling price was $130.

When I recieved the scope, I noticed that it seemed slightly "dim", and there was sometimes a strong glare on the objective lens that obscured the target and crosshairs. This didn't seem right, so I decided to sent it to Leupold and see what this customer service was all about.

I sent it on 10 Feb, they recieved it on 13 Feb. On 27 Feb I had a brand-new-in-box FX-II 2x20mm handgun scope on my doorstep. Inside was a work order that said "CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: Image Problem, WARRANTY WORK: Replaced".

Wow!!! I sent in an old, worn-out M8 scope, thinking they'd maybe replace or resurface the lenses, and they sent me a brand new FX-II!!!! Keep in mind that the M8 isn't made anymore and used to retail for about $199. The FX-II 2x20mm replaced the M8 2x20mm and retails for about $299.

So, for my $130 purchase, I recieved a brand-new $300 scope, courtesy of Leupold. That's some serious customer support. I'm sold.

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Old saying about Leupold, "no such thing as a used Leupold..." meaning that they will honor warranty regardless of numerous owners. Good outfit.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I recieved the scope, I noticed that it seemed slightly "dim", and there was sometimes a strong glare on the objective lens that obscured the target and crosshairs. This didn't seem right, so I decided to sent it to Leupold and see what this customer service was all about.

I've noticed the dim, poor, blurry sight picture, or whatever you want to call it from a brand-new 2x20 Leupold just last week. You can have the leupolds, I'll take the Burris, ten times better in clarity/resolution. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
ten times better in clarity/resolution

And how did you quantify that?
In the past you've said that Wind River Cascades were better than Swarovski SLCs.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I recieved the scope, I noticed that it seemed slightly "dim", and there was sometimes a strong glare on the objective lens that obscured the target and crosshairs.

I've got 5 year old scopes of many different brands and none of them seem "dim". Must be a leup(old) thing.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT has been my observation-not always but more times than not the guys with the big expensive scopes -range finders etc aren't experienced enough hunters and good enough shots to make use of them. I have shot my share of big game most of it west of the missippi and have never been underscoped with a 4x or at most 6x leupold. And last fall i sent leupold a 20yr old 6x-got it back in a wk with new lenses-it's pretty hard to beat that kind of warranty.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Having owned a few different types of optics, I will say over and over again, for the money, leupold consistantly has the best optics. The coatings are top notch, with minimal glare, and they truly care about customer service. At $450 or so for a good 3.5-10x VXIII, I wouldn't feel underscoped. To get anything better, you would have to look towards Swarovski and spend $1200 or so. I am not sure why folks like Jay have to bash the product with poor anecdotal evidence, but if he is happy with Burris, Bushnell, Tasco, or Simmons, more power to him. When reality checks in, leupold has the best customer satisfaction, so good, it makes the Austrians envious.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
Having owned a few different types of optics, I will say over and over again, for the money, leupold consistantly has the best optics. The coatings are top notch, with minimal glare, and they truly care about customer service. At $450 or so for a good 3.5-10x VXIII, I wouldn't feel underscoped. To get anything better, you would have to look towards Swarovski and spend $1200 or so. I am not sure why folks like Jay have to bash the product with poor anecdotal evidence, but if he is happy with Burris, Bushnell, Tasco, or Simmons, more power to him. When reality checks in, leupold has the best customer satisfaction, so good, it makes the Austrians envious.

John

John, Not bashing Leupold, own a 3.5-10x40mm, sits atop my 708, great scope with about the same resolution as my FF 3-9 Burris. Just had to comment on the 2x20 Leupold I viewed/compared with a Burris 2x20. Just aweful resolution. Actually called leupold and asked them if there might be something wrong with the scope since it was lacking clarity. I guess I'll have to go back and look at the other 2x20 Leupold to see if it looks the same.

Hey, I've seen a Burris 4-16 Sig.(at Gander Mtn.) that wasn't up to snuff in the resolution dept. Sh!tt happens.

Jack(Jay)fish, You're a mental case. Jay

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
quote:
ten times better in clarity/resolution

And how did you quantify that?
In the past you've said that Wind River Cascades were better than Swarovski SLCs.

Mental for sure, never said they were better, just at the time they looked as good. On a slightly hazy day many binos may look the same. Jay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got 5 year old scopes of many different brands and none of them seem "dim". Must be a leup(old) thing.

Or it could be the way the previous owners (there was more than one, and the scope was more than five years old) used it, abused it, improperly cleaned it, or didn't clean it at all.

The only thing in my above-posted experience that is attributable to the Leupold name is the no-questions-asked replacement of an item with which I was unsatisfied with a brand-new item of considerably more value.

Maybe this one will "dim" within a decade, also. Guess what I'll do if it does?

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe this one will "dim" within a decade, also. Guess what I'll do if it does?

Buy the Burris which you should've done in the first place. jumping

All kiddin aside, you really need to compare the Leupold with a Burris 2x20, you'll throw the leupold in the dumpster. sofa

Burris is the leader in pistol scopes, that's common knowledge, just ask some of the internet optics retailers. Jay

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Now we find out on another site that Mr. Gorski has just learned how to focus a scope.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well this may be off topic for part of you posters, but it is "on" the original topic.
I too have had excellent customer service from Leupold the few times I've needed it. I had a 3-9x40 Vari X II that I bought new in 1976!, last year I knocked my gun over and it landed on the scope on concrete bending the tube. I sent it in fully expecting to pay for repairs and was sent a brand new scope! My old scope was nearly 30 years old and had seen a lot of hard use packtrips, sheep and goat hunts and basically it looked very used and they replaced it for no cost. I was impressed.
Not to mention my Leupold scopes seem to be clear and bright and they are very forgiving if you are shooting from an odd position and don't have your eye in the exact correct position. I can't say that about any other scope including Burris and I happen to like Burris scopes but they are not quite a Leupold.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
Now we find out on another site that Mr. Gorski has just learned how to focus a scope.

Jay, Go Fuck yourself.

This is from Longrangehunting.com

Sheephunter, rifle scopes work as follows....

The rear lens (eyepiece) only adjusts so the reticule appears sharp and clear to the user. It does not do anything to focus the scope on the target. It works exactly the same way a magnifying glass does so you can see a fine line on a sheet of paper with it. Make a '+' on a sheet of paper and look at it with a magnifying glass and you'll see and hopefully understand. Unless your vision changes, the magnifying glass will always need to be the same distance from the paper to see the + clear and sharp.

Does this make sense to you? You need to understand this before I go further in explaining anything else.

This is the way I've been doing it since day one, is it wrong, DICKHEAD? Jay

P.S. I guess the reason my scopes are so clear is because I don't know how to focus them? Suck myass.