Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning re the Nikon 50ED Spotter
 Login/Join

posted
While looking for stay-on case for my Nikon 50ED I found the following thread about these scopes splitting in two!
ED 50 Disaster

Americans can take some comfort in that Nikon USA warrenty seems to cover this, while Nikon UK's doesn't! Mad

Had I seen these pictures and the way Nikon UK had treated thier British customers, I would never have bought this scope.

So this is a warning to all 50ED owners to be extra careful as the scope's robustness seems questionable at best.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not just their scopes, it's their cameras too.

I have a D90 which with lens cost around A$2000. Very nice optically, but as fragile as the scope in your post.

Picked the camera up by holding the lens and the body broke off. Luckily didn't hit the floor.

Seems the bayonet attachment is made of three pieces of flimsy plastic and this is a common and well known problem worldwide which Nikon refuses to acknowledge.

They argue that this acts as a safety device to prevent undue stress damaging the lens or body, somewhat like the Lee plastic ratchets for their presses.

However unlike Lee ratchets which cost a few cents Nikon charges hundreds to repair the lens mountings and the parts are not cheap if you want to try to repair it yourself which is not a job for the faint hearted.

I did get it fixed under warranty but not without argument and it took many weeks. Nikon probably only co-operated because I returned it through the major retailer that I purchased it from.

Glad it didn't happen while I was travelling overseas.

Googling this problem confirmed many dissatified Nikon consumers and I now count myself amongst those.

Not ever, ever buying anything Nikon again.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
This all stinks to high hell and it really stinks that they won't stand behind their products outside of the US market. I live in the States but the way they have treated you guys tells me that I will shop elsewhere from now on.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote