New
Find
Notify
Tools

reticle for DG
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What type of scope reticle does everyone prefer for hunting dangerous game? Duplex, heavy duplex, post & crosshair, european, etc.

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t hunt dangerous game but common sense tells me that the reticle style that your particular eyes can acquire the fastest would be the best. Some styles just naturally draw your eye to the center easier than others do.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a duplex

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like the circle dot. Seems to be faster than duplex, especially if it is illuminated. Absent that, I would pick heavy duplex on the fast movers.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Circle dot !

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Leupolds heavy duplex - have two for my 416 Rigby. It is fast and easy to pick up in heavy cover and I have used it out to 250 yards on plains game.

I have the standard duplex on my 375H&H and it works fine, but it isn't as easy or fast to pick up the cross hairs when in heavy brush/tall grass.

Both versions are the Leupold VariX-III. Another one I would consider is the Leupold wide heavy duplex.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Leupold makes a circle dot model of the 1.5-4

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
European NO;4 Reticle

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post

I like the German N° 1 which Premier Reticles installed on my Leupold 1.5 X 5 as above. Too bad they stopped doing this particular reticle installation.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

I am using Diavari No 11

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Leupold circle dot ilum in 1.5-5 for my DG hunt to Tanz last year specifically for leopard. I found a couple of things: it is pretty fast; it is not as precise as a cross hair; and you cannot see the lighted reticle in daylight.

It was good in twilight situations, and I used it last month to take a big doe right at dusk here.

I personnally like the heavy duplex and post reticle. Both are easy to pick up and can be very precise when necessary. If I got another ilum scope, I'd opt for the duplex with the small lighted x in the center. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in my neck of the woods I prefer the heavy duplex/Leupold either 1.5- or the 1.75 to... I have been pondering in sending a 1.75 -6 in for recharging and may have them install something like 3 heavy post(German#3?) and see what it is like.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote