New
Find
Notify
Tools

What power is prefered for bino's out west
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering what everyone buys in regards to magnification and obj lenses for their glassing optics? I'm uncertain which to pick between an 8x4? or 10x4?. I've decided on getting the Pentax DCF's or Minox BL's but not certain which power to get. What does everyone else prefer?

Posts: 70 | Location: N. Utah | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quick answer is the highest power, with the largest objectives, that you can comfortably hold steady and view through for long periods of time, and that aren’t too heavy for you to comfortably carry around all day.

Each individual will normally have a different answer for that.

Personally, I use nothing but 8x30’s and for my uses have never found myself wanting more power or more brightness than they provide...others milage may vary! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer 8x30's. Light, compact, as clear of a view as my hands can hold steady.

There are times 10x40 are better, but in bright daylight on a warm day, 8x will see as much as 10x.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer 10x40's as ranges tend to be a little longer out west.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I use 8 and 10 power Swarovski's, and have used 15. But the 15 darn near requires a tripod to hold them steady, and the 10s benefit from one as well.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I use Leica 10x42' and do not want any thing less.I recently purchased a pair of Swarovski 15X56 for Antelope hunting so as to not need a spotting scope to judge trophy size at extended ranges.The more optics the better as I have never heard anyone say "I could see too good"

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I like to use the 12x50's. They can be had in a handy roof prism at +/- 30 ozs. I been considering

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/62618/pentax_12.5x50_dcf_sp_binocular.htm

or

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/268/steiner_12x50_predator_binocular.htm

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would try a pair of 12x50's instead of a spotting scope. Wider field of view and most have tripod adapters.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a pair of good image stabilized binocs from 10 to 15X...you'll never look back...no pun intended.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well my choice in the matter for hunting in the west has been 8x40's and 10x40's and in my opinion if you need more magnification then you need a spotting scope. I've always used my bino's to locate animals or things that look as if they could be an animal then if need be switch to a spotting scope to asess an animals horn or in some cases to positively ID. Too much glass ( too high of magnification ) and you will get tired of glassing cuz you aren't stable enough and it becomes tiresome.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote