New
Find
Notify
Tools

Busnell 4200 6-24X Mil Dot Reticle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at the Bushnell 4200 6-24X for ground hog hunting our to 500 yards. The limited adjustment range for elevation seems to be the only serious shortcoming for this scope. It seems that the the Mil Dots could be used to increase the effective elevation adjustment range if they were close enough together, and if they were not too big in diameter. How far apart are the Mil Dots at 24X? 3.6"? 1.5" What diameter are the Dots at 24X? I could not find any details of Bushnells Mil Dot system on theri web site.

rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
The mil dot system won't be fine enough for varmint work. They were originally used for estimating range on man-size targets. Adjustments were then made via elevation dial. They are good for holding for wind however.

My advice would be to get a standard reticle and look at the new leupold rangefinders coming soon. It will tell you the range +/- 1 yard and does have hold over suggestions built (assuming your load follows one of their profiles).

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I read that some Mil Dot systems on variable scopes were calibrated for standard spacing at 10X. Other Mil Dot systems were calibrated for standard spacing at at the maximum scope power. For the 6-24X scope, if the Mil Dots are calibrated for the standard separation of 3.6" at 100 yards at 10X, then they would only be 1.5" apart at 24X, and that would probably be close enough together to use for aiming dots on groundhogs at extended ranges. Any idea how the Mil Dot system is set up on the 4200's? rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First focal plane mil dot reticles on variable scopes retain the same mil spacing at any magnification.

Cheaper second focal plane reticles keep true spacing only at one of the higher magnifications, usually at 10x.

All mil dot reticles are not created equal either...and the accurate sizing and spacing of the dots is critical for accurate results.

Premier’s Gen II mil dot reticles allow breaking the scale down to 1/10th mil.

Once you get comfortable with mil-theory and the calculations you can literally range any object of known size at any distance that it is visible through the scope.

If you want to blow off the math part just buy a Mildot Master slide rule that allows calculating for targets as small as 4 inches high.

If you take your mil dot scope and a laser range finder out for a few days to play with you can accurately get to know what different sized targets look like against the scale at different ranges that you have ranged with the laser finder.

Mil Dot reticles are great and extremely versatile to use under a very wide range of targeting applications.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311 : Thanks for the reply. I was directed to a post on the Predator Masters website that went through the Bushnell 4200's Mil Dot system in quite a lot of detail. The Mil Dot spacing of the 6-24X is milspec at 12X, and half the standard subtensions at 24X. The author of the post thought that this was an ideal setup for varmint hunting as it allowed more precise ranging and holds on small varmint size targets. It sounded good to me. I'll have to get me one.

rollinghills

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rollinghills,

If they are telling you the truth, then the spacing of the dots center to center at 12x would be one mil, and one half mil at 24X.

For varmit sized animals you can use the following formula to get the range for targets measured in inches rather than in yards:

Size of your target in inches X 27.7 divided by the height in mils on your reticle.

Example: your target is six inches high and it reads as .5 mils through your scope...it fills the area center to center of two dots with the scope set at 24X.

Six inches X 27.7 equals 166.2...then divide that by the height in mils: .5 which comes out to 332.4 yards.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I have used the scope you are looking at on a friend's .223 rifle. We were target shooting at the range, so cannot give gory details on the targets you have in mind. But it would seem the info you have been given was correct. Spacing is right at 12x for standard mil. And the dots are small enough to be useful at the 24x end of things.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote