New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage Spotting Scopes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any thought fellas on some of the vintage high end spotting scopes. I'm considering a Zeiss Asiola and would like to hear your thoughts on the scope. Are they as tough as today's scopes? I'm not too hard on a spotter but I would go backpack hunting with it. Thanks.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss name usually commands a premium... Take a look at an old Balscope Sr. It's the Bausch & Lomb spotters made in Rochester NY in the 50's and 60's.
Tough scope, great optics.

Not a Kowa, but then again you can usually pick up a balscope Sr for under $200.. Well worth the price.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll check them out.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I sometimes see Nickel, Marburg, spotting scopes on the Internet. I would chance one of those as their riflescopes were pretty good.

Posts: 5001 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second the old B&L Rochester NY made. Their variable spotter is probably too bulky for packing.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i still havw my old b&l variable that was a gift from my parents one christmas back in the early 60's. it stands all set up in my range shack & gets more use than any other. no problem spotting 22 holes at 300. i still think that shortof the expensive euro ones it's the best out there

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote