New
Find
Notify
Tools

high powered binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I do not enjoy looking through my spotting scope for more than 10-20 seconds at a time. I've been thinking about investing in a pair of high powered binoculars (20X or higher), for use on a tripod in a deer blind. There are some “astrological” models out there (Nikon, Fujinon, others), the Zeiss image stabilized unit, even the “Rogue River” binocular-adapted spotting scope. Anyone have recommendations (or warnings) for such anything in this range?

Thoughts much appreciated

Posts: 230 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the Minox 15x's get good press from guys using them as you want to do.
I'd call Doug at Cameraland and ask him what specific Minox 15x model that he sold Enrique (a hunting guide in Texas). Doug will know. And I'll say that Enrique has tested tham all, from Swaro's all the way down in price. He is a first rate guy who knows what he's talking about. A better man you'll never meet.
He guides hunters using the 15x on a tripod scanning the terrain for hours.
I read lots of posts in optical sections of various shooting/nunting forums, and don't recall seeing anyone use binox above 15x.

Don

Edit to add: I say which 15x binox to buy because IIRC, there are at least two different configurations of Minox 15x binox, two of which are HD and non-HD, maybe others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 10 X 70 Fujinon that sit on a tripod (very heavy) on the front porch of my farm where I can look out over a river bottom. Great glass; very long eye relief (25.4 mm); individual eye focus adjustment (great depth of field).
They make a 14 X 70 as well.
Funny thing is that Fujinon has been providing a flat field eye piece in their upper end bino's for 20 years or more. Swarovski is just now offering it and promoting it. It does work!
The 10 X 70 Fuji's are awesome! Also Heavy and rugged.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Dad has a pair of 16x65 Pentax. I think 65mm is right, but not 100% on that they are good, and we have them on a solid Bogen tripod.

I have had a pair of Steiner Senators in 25x80. Don't waste your money.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good spotting binocular somewhere between 16X and 20X is much more user friendly than a spotting scope. As you know, closing one eye and looking through the other results in eyestrain and inability to focus both eyes after just a short time.

The challenge with tripod mounted binoculars is finding a binocular that the manufacturer bothered to point both barrels in the same place. You can get by with a small misalignment (poor collimation) at 6x or 8x without splitting your head into, but when you boost the power up in the teens any imprecision in aligning the two barrels of the binocular will absolutely ruin your day.

It seems that no manufacturer is all that picky about aligning their barrels, even those which charge well into the four figures for their instruments. So, when selecting a high powered binocular be sure to examine the actual instrument you are buying to check for barrel alignment.

I've found that tripod mounting even a good 9X binocular turns it into a surprisingly useful instrument that provides better resolution than the same bino when hand held and makes a more efficient spotter than a higher powered spotting scope.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote