New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stiff adjustment ring on Swarovski 3x10x42 AV
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Around a year and a half ago I found a good price on Swarovski AV's and bought several. One of the 3x10x42 had awaited a rifle to go on since then. I mounted it yesterday, and the power adjustment ring is unbelievably stiff. I actually put some Kroil on the gap between the ring and the tube to see if it would loosen the beast up but to no avail.

Any suggestions other than sending it back to Swaro? It is definitely not acceptable on a rifle that will go afield! I figure I'll try a few more stabs at loosening her up, and then I don't know what other than sending her off to Swaro---maybe the dealer would help, but I suppose he would say, hey you bought that from me over a year and a half ago, the issue is between you and Swaro now......

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish,
I posted the same problem a few weeks back...

Loosening the rings eliminated the problem.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1421043/m/689105556

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
If it goes away when rings are loosened.....try burris signiture zee rings with the inserts, it should cure the problem. Other than that, ring lapping is in the picture.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Fish,

Well if you have other Swaros and you don't have a problem with them using same rings then I would say I would ship it back to Swaro. I wouldn't be putting any sort of lubricant on it either since it could be incompatible with the seals. If the problem persists when you take them out of the rings then it is ring related.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info guys, I do in fact have several other scopes in the same rings, they are Warnes. I will try taking it out of the rings this afternoon.

Sempre, that's a good point about the seals--no more lubes, and I tried to clean off the little Kroil I had spritzed in there.

Thanks guys--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski is right about the ring being too tight and being very close to the magnification change ring. I put an extension rear base on my gun and moved the ring forward on the scope and solved the same problem.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess there is the first time for everything, but shifting the ring forward 1/8" did the trick. It was already well in front of the adjustment ring, but either the taking off and resetting or the little scoot forward made the difference.

Thanks for the help guys--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is downright amazing! I have an older Swaro with a stiff adjustment ring at home, I'll have to take a look at where the rings are positioned on that.

AR does it again! Smiler

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote