Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics for paper not fur
 Login/Join

posted
I find myself looking at scopes as my iorn sight eyes are ....
Fact is I am a fair weather paper shooter, good light, 100, 200 yards all my rifles are production and millsurp. No bench rest quality. nothing fancy. I don't need low light accumulation, and I don't need a scope that I could use as a hammer in a pinch. Simmons, Bushnell on the low end leuopold et all on the high end. I don't want to buy Junk, but I don't need to buy gold when copper will do. Any of you have thougts on this? I shoot mainly soft recoil cast bullets. When I shoot jacketed it is never at max. never saw a need. If you have read between the lines you figured I am cheap. that is so, extra cash goes to buying crusty old rifles. Thanks in advance. JB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John O'Connell:
I find myself looking at scopes as my iorn sight eyes are ....
Fact is I am a fair weather paper shooter, good light, 100, 200 yards all my rifles are production and millsurp. No bench rest quality. nothing fancy. I don't need low light accumulation, and I don't need a scope that I could use as a hammer in a pinch. Simmons, Bushnell on the low end leuopold et all on the high end. I don't want to buy Junk, but I don't need to buy gold when copper will do. Any of you have thougts on this? I shoot mainly soft recoil cast bullets. When I shoot jacketed it is never at max. never saw a need. If you have read between the lines you figured I am cheap. that is so, extra cash goes to buying crusty old rifles. Thanks in advance. JB

At the risk of being labeled as a heretic...have you consider a nice used older model Weaver, Lyman or Redfield? You can find these lots of places in beautiful condition and they are allot of scope for the money. No bells and whistles, just damned fine optics that you will be handing down to your grand kids.

I recently bought a Weaver K6 (6x) for $75 bucks and it looks almost brand new. Try buying a new 6x scope with that quality for that price.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
Once again, I gotta recommend Mueller. You actually get a little more than you pay for IMO anyway (for what thats worth).

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
The best scope in it's class right now is the Zeiss Conquest.
Super performer and you won't spend too much.

On another note, the Nikon Buckmaster w/ side focus is a real deal for under $300.

Regards,
cheaptrick

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
During March, MidwayUSA had Sightron 6X AO benchrest scopes with target turrets on sale for $120. This was over $200 off regular price.

The low magnification for a benchrest scope is for the hunter class competition which limits magnification to 6X.

Picked up a few myself. Even put them on 17 and 22 rimfires.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick 0311:
At the risk of being labeled as a heretic...have you consider a nice used older model Weaver, Lyman or Redfield? You can find these lots of places in beautiful condition and they are allot of scope for the money. No bells and whistles, just damned fine optics that you will be handing down to your grand kids.

I recently bought a Weaver K6 (6x) for $75 bucks and it looks almost brand new. Try buying a new 6x scope with that quality for that price.[/QUOTE/]

From my experience with the older Redfields you want be handing them down in working order. I owned 5 different ones back in the 70's and every one pucked at some point not a good scope at all.3 of them lost the lens seal and you could hear the lens rattle( dry rotted o- rings is what they said) one of them a 4X I only sighted it in and put in the gun case and the next time I took it to the range it was so clouded that I could not see through it, One a 3X9 lost the little pin in the power ring and you could not change powers. Personaly I would not cosider an Redfield unles I wanted a fishing wieght. This just my experience with them and your millage may very

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, that's a great lead at Midway, I'm going to check what they are selling for now--got a rimfire and a truck rifle they would work great on.

Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote