Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-III vs. Burris Euro Diamond
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted
As a scope for a big bore rifle which one would be you pick.... Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20 or
Burris Euro Diamond 1-4x24 ? The price is very similar but do they both handle the recoil from a big bore !

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have a Euro-D 1-4x24, #4-3p e-dot in a 30mm body. That's the big difference: the Leupold is a standard 1" scope, the Euro-D is a 30mm body.

My Euro-D is mounted on a Montana 1999 in .375 H&H. I have no question about it's durability. It's an extremely sturdy scope. It is, however, VERY heavy, especially compared to the Leupold.

Optically, I find the glass to be pretty much the same. Remember that the Burris is using the same exact size optics as the Leupold - both are 24mm glass. The only difference is the Burris is in a 30mm body.

Given the same money, I'd take the Leupold over the Euro-D to save the weight. The simple fact is that I got a screaming good deal on the Euro-D e-Dot, which is why I bought it. I pay the price with nearly a 1/2 pound more weight.

Which, in retrospect, isn't such a good deal. I now find myself searching for a lighter weight scope to get my .375 under 9# again.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The FOV difference is huge with the Burris ED at 109ft and the VX3 at 68ft.
The objective lens on the ED is 24mm vs 20mm on the VX3.
The ED is, as stated, 8oz heavier and will require more expensive 30mm rings.

I know which one I'd pick and it'd be the ED.

I happen to know where one of those is for sale right now too for a substantial savings.

PM me if interested and I'll point you to the seller.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info nsaqam, unfortunately there is a ridiculous law in the US which came after 9/11 that prohibits sales/shipping of rifle scopes outside the US ! I will find one on-line somewhere here in Europe.

Another question....I saw that Bushnell just came out with a new Elite 6500 1-6.5x24 ! What do you think of that one ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer Leupold, primarily because of a bad customer service experience with Burris and expreme reliability and durability of Leupold. I have 3 Leu 1.5 x 20's. One each on 375 H & H and 458 Lott. The third is a 30 mm illuminated for leopard.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1-6.5x24 Elite 6500 isn't even listed on the Bushnell US website.
I do have quite a bit of experience with the Elite 4200's though and I happen to think they are the best buy on a performance per $ spent basis.
The Rainguard works as advertised, they are reliable, optically extremely good, and versatile.

I'd very much like to get my hands on that 1-6.5 6500 to see what it's like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I personally prefer Leupold, primarily because of a bad customer service experience with Burris and expreme reliability and durability of Leupold. I have 3 Leu 1.5 x 20's. One each on 375 H & H and 458 Lott. The third is a 30 mm illuminated for leopard.

It seems, based on internet reports, that Burris CS is spotty.
I will say that the one time I actually needed to use Burris CS that they went far above and beyond what I expected and left me completely satisfied.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is some info on the Bushnell European site for the new Elite 6500 1-6.5x24 looks really good....

http://www.bushnelloutdoorprod.../elite-6500/651624e/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have a second thought about trying that 1-6.5 6500 out.

I really like a WIDE FOV and this one qualifies.
Rainguard works too and it could mean the difference between taking a shot or not if you are caught out in the rain or snow or if you accidentally breathe on the ocular.