THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    BEST ALL AROUND BIG GAME SCOPE (2x-10x 40mm)- ZEISSvsSwarovsS&BvsLEUPOLD

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BEST ALL AROUND BIG GAME SCOPE (2x-10x 40mm)- ZEISSvsSwarovsS&BvsLEUPOLD
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
If you could have one of these which and why

Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42

S&B 2.5-10x40 SUMMIT

Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42

Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45

The Zeiss is lightest and has Lotutec and also is the only FFP scopes in the group....

who has spent time behind them

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is that I already have a Z6i 1.7-10 and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had or have all those scopes except the Diavari, although I have a 3x9x40 (maybe 42?). There was some pretty good cost differential between those scopes, but you didn't say factor that--so based on having had them, I would do the S&B again, followed real closely by the Swaro.

Those scopes are all real close in my opinion, but, the Leupold power adjustments were not as good (smooth & easy) and adjustments were not as small as the other two--meaning a click at 100 yards had a larger affect than with the other two--not a real problem in a hunting rifle to me, just something I noticed, the eyepiece focus is better to me on the S & B and the Swaro, and lastly, the Optics are better to ME on the Swaro and the S & B by a good bit.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find first focal plane scopes distracting for hunting assuming the scope has a hunting reticle---e.g. a 4A. They have their obvious purpose and benefit with any kind of measuring or compensating reticle, but I don't want that for a plex or 4A reticle. So that would be a deal killer for me on the Zeiss.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I would go for the Swaro, just because the glass is so good, and the magnification range is so wide.

I have a PH 2.5-10x42 which is a great all around scope. I would like to change to the Z6, but I can't justify the spend given the quality of the older model.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swaro Z6

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the swaro z6i 1.7-10. the combo of field of vision, fixed eye releif, and power range is tough to beat. Weight is the only drawback I could see, and that may even be a benefit if your rifle is too light!

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just in your position. I chose the Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42.

Reasons:

Better low light capability than Leupold

Better customer service reputation by far than Zeiss or S&B

Best feild of view of all (assuming all on lowest power for hunting close cover)

In the future I will only buy scopes with illuminated reticles. Missing that once in a lifetime trophy because you can't make out your crosshairs against the animal just isn't worth it.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm just fine with my collection of Vari X III Leupolds on my good rifles

For my beater guns...they all wear Vari X II

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ted only cheaper. VX11s and VX1s on rimfires and beaters. Haven't felt underscoped yet.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swaro is the best in my eyes.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the scopes you list are too large and heavy to serve as an "all around" big game scope. That is, unless you do all of your big game hunting from an armchair or on the computer.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If money is no object, Swaro. If it is, Zeiss. Leupys don't come close.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
All of the scopes you list are too large and heavy to serve as an "all around" big game scope. That is, unless you do all of your big game hunting from an armchair or on the computer.

the zeiss weighs 15.5 oz...??? i bench press over 400 pounds. i think i can hande the 2 oz difference from the leupy vx3 3.5-10x40

zeiss compared to leupy vx3

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PATRIOT76:
quote:

the zeiss weighs 15.5 oz...??? i bench press over 400 pounds. i think i can hande the 2 oz difference from the leupy vx3 3.5-10x40

Who said anything about that particular Leupold being qualified as an "all around" big game scope? Besides, being such a marvelously strong fellow and all (I'll be the girls all swoon at the sight of your bare chest), you should just hunt with a hand-thrown rock instead of depending on the chemical energy of gunpowder to do your dirty work.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 - 9x 40mm, duplex reticle. That's why most manufactures produce a heap of them, and they're competitively priced.

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who said anything about that particular Leupold being qualified as an "all around" big game scope? Besides, being such a marvelously strong fellow and all (I'll be the girls all swoon at the sight of your bare chest), you should just hunt with a hand-thrown rock instead of depending on the chemical energy of gunpowder to do your dirty work.

Im just saying the whole "it weighs 2 oz more thus its too heavy" is truly boring and overrated...how about get in shape if your going on a mountain goat hunt....what a concept

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the header, or the thread. I just saw a link to "Best All Around Big Game Scope."

It's the 3x - 9x 40 mm, duplex reticle.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Brazos Jack wrote:
quote:
In the future I will only buy scopes with illuminated reticles. Missing that once in a lifetime trophy because you can't make out your crosshairs against the animal just isn't worth it.

With good optics -- optics offering ample resolving power and definition/detail along with proper contrast levels in low light -- that has never been a problem for me.

Plus, the illuminated reticle is just one more thing that can go out, and manufacturers -- even those with ironclad lifetime warranties for their conventional optics -- generally only warrant that portion of the scope for a year. That fact alone should be considered as it is rather obvious that the IRs aren't likely to be there for the long haul.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Zeiss and Swaro. Love them both. My nod goes to Swaro though. IMHO they are the bomb.

posted Hide Post
Of the ones listed, I'd buy the Swaro. However, you might wish to have a look at the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32. I bought one last fall, used it for all of my deer hunting and came away highly impressed. Don't let the 32mm obj. size fool you, it is every bit as bright as any of my 40mm sized scopes.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

Too large and heavy for big game hunting?

You need to start eating your Wheaties! Big Grin

They're all great scopes, but I, too, would go with the Swarovski.

I find that the Swarovski glass is hard to beat.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
Of the ones listed, I'd buy the Swaro. However, you might wish to have a look at the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32. I bought one last fall, used it for all of my deer hunting and came away highly impressed. Don't let the 32mm obj. size fool you, it is every bit as bright as any of my 40mm sized scopes.

compared that exact NXS to the 2.5-10x42 zeiss tonight for a few hours...zeiss blew it out of the water in lowlight and this was a brand new NXS. ot didnt even look as clear in daylight. Im serious, the zeiss diavari was htat much better.

posted Hide Post
I'll have to have a good look at one of those, if that's the case! I compared my NXS to all of my Leupolds as well as an older Swaro A-Line and a Leica and it beat them all, plus I love it's IR.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
i think i forgot the best scope

SCHMIDT & BENDER 3-12x42 Klassik

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Z6i 1,7-10x42 with CD-1 reticle.
I havent tried the circle dot in the field before, but it seems to be a pretty smart reticle. Time will tell wheter I will be pleased.

Patriot, I culdnt agree more about the SoB, its just a damn rugged scope!

Posts: 168 | Location: North of the Arctic circle,in Sweden | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
patriot76,
You have never looked through a March.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
butch

i have heard March are awesome, however, i dont think a MARCH is a hunting scope. I think its a target/benchrest scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the March 1x-10x or the 2.5x-25x are both offered as hunting scopes. Check this out.
http://www.deon.co.jp/march/Hunting_scope.html
If you are a long range shooter they have a new 10x-80x-56mm with a 34mm tube. It is a little heavy at 18oz, the 1x-10x, but the optics are remarkable. I think you owe it to yourself to check them out before purchasing. TC1 on the forum has a 2.5-25 and says it has the best optics he has ever seen. He did make a mistake and got the fine crosshair.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I use either US Optics or S&B. Have a few VMV and Swaros as well but that said I will be looking at the March Optics in the near term. They are good and I was impressed --- this was a few years ago looking thru the BR Model at a match.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very easy for me:

Zeiss Victory 2,5-10x42 Ret N° 4. As you said, the only FFP reticule in the group....!

Regards

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

S&B 2.5-10x40 SUMMIT

Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42

Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45

The Zeiss is lightest and has Lotutec and also is the only FFP scopes in the group....

Swaro hands down, if price is no object. Best glass for my eye. I have tried all of these and would rank them as follows -

Swaro
S&B
Leupold
Zeiss (last by a lot)

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

S&B 2.5-10x40 SUMMIT

Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42

Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45

Swaro hands down, if price is no object. Best glass for my eye. I have tried all of these and would rank them as follows -

Swaro
S&B
Leupold
Zeiss (last by a lot)

Leupold ahead of the Zeiss!!!!!

Make mine a Schmidt & Bender, and the Leupold ain't even in the equation, great glass is never a handi-cap and is always a plus

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to be the
Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42

I prefer to hunt with a lower power variable scope,,,, most of mine are 1.5-6

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when, the days before Thomas Jefferson invented the light bulb and we watched tv by candlelight. The days I walked 10 miles uphill, in the snow and barefooted to school. Those days. Variable power scopes were limited and very costly so people mostly used fixed power. The main debate was 4x or 6x. Seems most in open country went 6x and brushy country went 4x. So I'd say a variable scope that covers those 2 should git her done. I am partial to American made and no nonsense warranty on Leupolds. I think a 2 oz difference in weight really wouldn't be much of a factor. I put it in the catagory of some of the extremes bicycle riders go to. Spend $$ to knock of a fraction of a gram in weight for an item. Bottle holder for example. Aluminum weighs almost nothing. But for a whole lot more you can get a carbon one that weighs slightly less---and this makes a HUGE difference? Btw I bench over 500 pounds---and can go much higher if anybody tops that. Heck just a couple weeks ago--well maybe it was years ago--I benched 50 pounds 11 times and thats 550 pounds.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Back when, the days before Thomas Jefferson invented the light bulb and we watched tv by candlelight. The days I walked 10 miles uphill, in the snow and barefooted to school. Those days. Variable power scopes were limited and very costly so people mostly used fixed power. The main debate was 4x or 6x. Seems most in open country went 6x and brushy country went 4x. So I'd say a variable scope that covers those 2 should git her done. I am partial to American made and no nonsense warranty on Leupolds. I think a 2 oz difference in weight really wouldn't be much of a factor. I put it in the catagory of some of the extremes bicycle riders go to. Spend $$ to knock of a fraction of a gram in weight for an item. Bottle holder for example. Aluminum weighs almost nothing. But for a whole lot more you can get a carbon one that weighs slightly less---and this makes a HUGE difference? Btw I bench over 500 pounds---and can go much higher if anybody tops that. Heck just a couple weeks ago--well maybe it was years ago--I benched 50 pounds 11 times and thats 550 pounds.
At first I was thinking, "you've got to be kidding me, all this bench pressing 400-500lbs." Then I saw the end of your post Big Grin

If one could afford, I would go with that 1.7-10 Swaro.

That 1-10 March that butchlambert posted looks interesting

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote