THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Value Lyman alaskan All weather/Pacamyer lo swing mount

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value Lyman alaskan All weather/Pacamyer lo swing mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently took off this scope from a Remington model 721, in 300 H&H.

The scope is very clear and bright and the bluing is about 95% or better.
It has a 7/8" tube and is a fixed 2 1/2 power.

It has some scratches on the eye piece and a small shiny spot there as well.

As far as ring marks I can not tell as I can not figure out how to get this mount off!! I believe the serial number is also under the mount.

It is a Pachmyer swing mount and I can not see how it could be put on the scope,or taken off, without removing the eye piece end, which I do not want to do.

I am sure some of you have dealt with this mount before and know the "secret" of getting it off.

I am looking for an approximate value to sell it for.

One was recently listed on ARbay for $285, and it sold and I have seen them listed for $250 to $400 on Gunbroker. None of these had a mount with it.

These prices seem a bit high. I want to list it, but a fair price to a forum member and myself. If someone would like to make an offer please PM me.

It would make a great addition to a vintage rifle.

Thanks for any and all advice
Shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was happy to get the one here for $285.... Cool

They sell every day on eBay for $350-400 easy

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane, sell it to Rich for $1,000 ....tell him Jack O'Conner once drove by the shop it was sold in :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure of it. Biebs. Are you going to be in at SCI this year?

Kala you should have a spare, with mount!

shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, be there...same place :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As to to getting the mount off, it may be that this was a mount that required the scope to be disassembled to put it on.

Nick Stroebel derisively listed a product called the Zephyr Take-A-Part Scope, purposely built for such mounts. In the days before nitrogen charging, such excercises were not thought so deleterious, though dry air was appreciated when doing it. The Germans apparently stripped down any steel scope before soldering on the demi-rings favoured for claw mounts.

If you were to sell the scope towards the collectors' market, it might get more with the mount left on.

Posts: 4965 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input I really appreciate it.

I think I am going to leave the mount on and sell it as is.

Going to list soon so if anyone want to make an offer please PM.

shane

posted Hide Post
The Alaskan came in 4 versions. The most rare almost never seen was with a 3/4" tube and open adjustments (no caps). Next came a 7/8" tube version with open adjustments, then a 7/8" with caps and finally the All Weather. There was also a rare version with no internal adjustments to be used with adjustable mounts.
Value depends on what you have. At the top is the 3/4" version as nobody really knows that any were made.Next a 7/8" a U.S. marked one with just a single post. These were used on (mostly) 03A3s after they gave up on the POS Weaver 330, and before the M82 and M84 came on line. Next would be the same scope with a wartime serial # as many were just bought off the shelf and put in service. Then the non adjustable models. Then the All Weathers, non All Weathers capped and finally the open adjustment ones. The reticle also affected the value a lot. Outside of those than can be military linked (just a post): multiple dots with CH, single dot with CH, post & CH, Post and finally crosshair alone are the steps down. Condition is and out is key as well. A military marked one with all the original packaging and paperwork, unissued could easily fetch $1500 or more. A plain open adjustment commercial model with CH and 70% finish could be $150.00.
Leupold tried to bring back the Alaskan in 2.5, 4 & 6X. A huge flop at the time as everyone "knew" no 7/8 tube scope was any good. Well they were more than good and IF you can find one today with the equally rare Leupold rings, NIB expect to kiss away $600.
As far as taking off the mount, just unscrew the eyepiece and locking ring and slide it off. Get some zero humidity spray nitrogen and put it and the opened scope in a large sealable plastic bag. Keep it in cool place for a couple of days, put it back together and it will be better than new.
( dont spray it in the scope tube, those are real crosshairs!)
Both the Lyman All Weathers (lenses by Bausch & Lomb) and the later Leupold versions are great scopes. They are light, mount low, have excellent optics and will last forever.
Really good ones bring $400 all the time on fleabay. Nice item, the value depends on:
- the tube condition under the mount (tube is steel) the mount is a pot metal POS that might bring $10.00 on Fleabay.
- the clarity and condition of the optics
- the reticle
in the $250 to $450 area depending.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you mclure!!

Great information and very helpful.

This is a 7/8 tube and it has the standard crosshair. It is amazingly clear and bright. The bluing is in great shape with the exception of the scratch's shown in the photos. The bright spots, that are seen in the photos,are reflections of light.

I really don't have anything I can use it on so I will soon list it, with the mount. I will let the future owner take it apart!

shane

posted Hide Post
If you list it as is, people will suspect rust under the mount. Better you should take it off (5 minutes) to show hoe the tube is.
Were I buying it, I'd knock off 25% as a rusted tube is very expensive to make right (If possible).

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I dips me lid to mclure. You should write a book Smiler

Posts: 4965 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loosened the mount and am able to slide it back and forth; and see no rust. I will take it apart and remove the mount and take a look at it.

Where do you get, "some zero humidity spray nitrogen"?

I think I am going to list it for $260 shipped CONUS.

Wish I had some thing to use it on!
The 721 that it cam off was purchased for the action for another project.

quote:
Originally posted by mclure:
If you list it as is, people will suspect rust under the mount. Better you should take it off (5 minutes) to show hoe the tube is.
Were I buying it, I'd knock off 25% as a rusted tube is very expensive to make right (If possible).

posted Hide Post
If it's minty in and out, $260 is too cheap. Really clean it up, get off all old dust, grease and oil and put several coats of automotive paste wax on it. List it on Fleabay with lots of good photos. Start it at 99 cents with a $325.00 reserve. You can always lower the price but you can't raise it.
All Weathers are like money in the bank.

Any advanced camera shop should have the Nitrogen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again for the advice.

I am going to take the mount off when I get off line. I will pick up the nitrogen before I put it back together.

shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tube is in super shape, not a mark on it from under the mount! The serial number is in the low 45000's with no prefix. I will post some more pictures later,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the pictures without the mount;