New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Pinacle Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All, I just ordered a set of Leupold 8X Pinacle binoculars. Anybody have any experience with them? Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing about three years ago. What can I tell you? I can see things thru them but the only thing that I can compare them to is a old Hensolt Nacht Dialight 8X56. The Hensolt is much better but bigger.

I should have gone to a store and compared them. The worst shoppers compare the purchase afterwards and now I am going to do that!

Mine will hit eyeglass lenses with the cups down. I heard that this was corrected.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Why did you order them before you looked through them and then ask us about them? Just curious.

The Wind River Pinnacles are on par with many other mid-range roof prism binoculars made in Japan. However, I think the best roof prism binoculars at this price point is the Swift Audubon HHS 8.5x44mm at $315. All I can say is try before you buy.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the 8x42 pinnacles and am very satisfied with them . They come with interchangeble eyecups now so are prefectly satisfactory for eyeglass wearers . I have 2 nit picks , the twist up eyecups do not have "clicks" , so they tend to wander around on you a bit . Another is the depth of focus seems a bit critical , but the center focus wheel is very smooth , so you can easily make up for that .

The Pinnacles do handle flare very well , I remember one evening watching a doe and fawn against a row of dark colored round bales ; looking right into the sun the deer became invisable to my naked eyes , but thru the pinnacles they were lit up like high noon on the 4th of July .

The Pinnacles are also about as light and compact as you can get in an 8x42 , which was important to me . I think to best them you have to jump up a notch in price to maybe something like the Pentax SP models .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote