New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tasco World Class Plus
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is a brand new in the box Tasco WCP 3x-9x-44 worth 100.00 or is there a better buy for the same amount of money?

Thanks, Rojelio

P.S. Made in Japan

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rojelio---My gunsmith said about the only scope he sees that holds zero when moved through the power ranges besides Leupolds are Tascos. I mostly have Leupolds now,but do have A Tasco World Class that has given no problems(it's on a 22-250). The price sounds good.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting for the last 10 years with a Japanese Tasco 3x-12x-40 Mag IV on my 25-06.

I have not had to readjust my scope setting once the whole time, and, that rifle never leaves my truck for the whole hunting season unless It's in a bad need for a cleaning and oiling.

How many scopes will do that much less a cheap scope like the Tasco?

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I also have 3 Tasco scopes that haven't given me any trouble but another one I had changed zero all by itself over a day or so and cost me a fairly easy shot on a deer. I have no patience with a scope that does this. Furthermore, the "lifetime warranty" on the Tasco scopes I still have are worthless since the old Tasco company was aquired by Bushnell. I REALLY HATE lying companies that don't stand behind their warranties.

I also had a Bushnell Trophy scope mounted on a handgun that was damaged by the recoil of said 460 S&W Magnum. Bushnell wouldn't repair or replace it saying it had been "abused." The Bushnell/Tasco connection gives me a bad taste for both brands.

I am buying no more Tascos. Leupold has been around a lot longer and their warranty is still good so that is where my business will go.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin---I can give you all kinds of horror stories about Bushnell--both their product and their "customer service". Bushnell is the main reason I switched to Leupold. I have been very pleased with Leupold--both the product and the fantastic customer service. Darned if they aren't really cheaper in the end. Check out the resale they command on EBAY.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
Rojelio---My gunsmith said about the only scope he sees that holds zero when moved through the power ranges besides Leupolds are Tascos.

I think your gunsmith needs to lay off the whiskey.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,

What you described can happen to any scope. Any mechanical device can fail and I have heard of people having to send in their Leupolds, too.

But you are right, the Leupold warranty and customer service is hard to beat.

If I was going on an expensive once in a lifetime hunt, I would be geared up with the best equipment I could afford.

As it is, I hunt 10 minutes from my house with not much of a chance for a real trophy (Unless you consider oversized wild hogs a trophy), so I can afford to use less expensive equipment.

If I have a failure, I can be re-equiped within minutes.

Rojelio

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch---You think my gunsmith needs to lay off the whiskey. Perhaps you are correct. Tell us about your experience to make this assessment. Sure wouldnt want to recommend AA to my gunsmith without some hard facts to back it up.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neverflinch---You think my gunsmith needs to lay off the whiskey. Perhaps you are correct. Tell us about your experience to make this assessment. Sure wouldnt want to recommend AA to my gunsmith without some hard facts to back it up.

Has your gunsmith handled many Zeiss, Swaro, or S&B scopes??? How about Nightforce?? Call me crazy but I'd be willing to bet much more care goes into the manufacture of an $1500.00 scope than one that cost $50.00.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
It's true, what happened with my Tasco and Bushnell scopes can happen with any scopes but it's more likely to happen with some than with others. My main beef with Tasco/Bushnell though is not backing up the product they're responsible for. Unless it's the last manufacturer/distrubuter on earth, I won't support a company that won't back up their warranty.

I hunt right in my back yard and I still want my scope to be very dependable and durable.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Tasco's were made in Japan, for the money, that World Class was hard to beat. I have quite a few of the original ones and after many years they are still working great. Now carpetman is right about bushnell, I've see more of those fail (along with Simmons) then any other brand scope. I haven't checked lately but I would be pretty soon that you can get a World Class from Midway cheaper then $100. Sometimes Walmart use to have them on sell, if they still carry them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch---You avoided my question. My question was how much experience have you had to determine my friend/gunsmith needs to lay off the whiskey? Can't go doing an intervention to get him into AA without some facts. I cant answer your question regarding his experience with the scopes you mentioned---I do know he has been a successful gunsmith for over 25 years that I know. I say successful based on his not doing any advertising but staying busy just on word of mouth. Does your experience match or exceed that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been doing accuracy workups for folks for about 6 years now plus doing all the zero work for my local 'smith for 5 years. In literally hundreds of rifles zeroed/accuracy workups, I have had 2 leupolds and one Swarovski scopes take a dump on me. I can't begin to count the number of Bushnell, Tasco, BSA, etc, etc, etc that have not made the grade. It has gotten so bad I won't do an accuracy workup on a rifle with a Simmons scope (except for the Aetec line). Incidentally both Leupolds were sent in, repaired, and returned within 3 weeks at no cost other than the shipping one way (about $12). The Swaro owner had a long and frustrating phone conversation with their customer service and hasn't made up his mind what to do--minimum of $250 plus shipping to get it fixed and about 90 days as I recall.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neverflinch---You avoided my question. My question was how much experience have you had to determine my friend/gunsmith needs to lay off the whiskey? Can't go doing an intervention to get him into AA without some facts. I cant answer your question regarding his experience with the scopes you mentioned---I do know he has been a successful gunsmith for over 25 years that I know. I say successful based on his not doing any advertising but staying busy just on word of mouth. Does your experience match or exceed that?

My experience does not need to match or exceed that. Anyone (with even half a brain) knows that Leupold and Tasco scopes are not the only ones that can hold zero, and anyone who thinks so is nothing more than a fool(in their knowledge of scopes), and that's being generous. So if your gunsmith insists on you buying Tasco's because they are the only scopes(other than Leupold) to hold zero, I would tell him to keep his advise on optics to himself, because he has NO idea what he's talking about. As far as the drunk comment goes, the only possible explination for someone making a statement so blatently stupid when it comes to scopes, is that they were drunk. Hope that answers all of your questions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch---Yes you answered my question. You gave nothing to indicate any level of expertise to make your assesssment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My gunsmith said about the only scope he sees that holds zero when moved through the power ranges besides Leupolds are Tascos

That certainly has not been my experience.The worst offender for wandering zero was a friends tasco.He zeroed it at 9x then took a couple of shots at 3x,only to discover that the point of impact had appeared to move.He was about to readjust the scope when I suggested turning the magnification back to 9x and shooting again.Sure enough the zero was correct again.
I have seen very slight changes with cheaper scopes before,but this was around 1-1/2" at 100 yards.On the other hand my leupolds,bushnell elites,swarovskis and zeiss scopes seem to be very consistant as the magnification is adjusted.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper--I will certainly tell my gunsmith that the general statement he made based on over 25 years of experience is faulty. It is faulty in that a guy in Canada has a friend that has a Tasco that varied 1.5Moa from 3x-9x. His observation was based on what his Sweeny collimator has shown him and somehow,he must not have checked your friends scope. Bushnells were amongst your list of dependable scopes??? I had several and never again.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stubblejumper--I will certainly tell my gunsmith that the general statement he made based on over 25 years of experience is faulty.

That would be the best thing that you could do. That or tell him to try non alcoholic beer instead of the whiskey. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch--The only "explination" you could give was that he was drunk for making a statement so "blatently" stupid. I thought someone had showed some stupidity so I looked in the dictionary and confirmed my suspicions.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Guess I forgot to hit the spell check button. Explanation, blatantly. I didn't realize it was necessary to proof read my work on a message board but I guess it is. But, why would you have to look in the dictionary?? Your gunsmith still doesn't know what he is talking about. Here's an idea.......next time you walk into your deer camp tell all the guys there that Tasco scopes are the only one's that hold zero. Please record it so I can watch how hard everyone laughs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch--no spell check isnt necessary. But I can say if I walk into a deer camp in this area and tell them which gunsmith made the statement--he is well known and reputation is such that I doubt it would bring much laughter. On the other hand if I told them someone from Houston with no stated expertise to back up anything said he was a drunk and an idiot that might get some chuckles.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Ruger Stainless Competition Target Model With Tasco World Class 1.25 - 4 X Mounted. Targets shot with scope set on varying degrees of magnification. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neverflinch--no spell check isnt necessary. But I can say if I walk into a deer camp in this area and tell them which gunsmith made the statement--he is well known and reputation is such that I doubt it would bring much laughter. On the other hand if I told them someone from Houston with no stated expertise to back up anything said he was a drunk and an idiot that might get some chuckles.

Well if he honestly thinks that the only two scopes that will hold zero through the magnification range are Leupold and Tasco, then in the area of scopes, he is an absolute idiot. Why don't you ask him the question again to make sure he, or probably you, have your facts straight. I will stand by that statement.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billt:

Ruger Stainless Competition Target Model With Tasco World Class 1.25 - 4 X Mounted. Targets shot with scope set on varying degrees of magnification. Bill T.

Doesn't look like it held zero very well as the point of impact has clearly changed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't look like it held zero very well as the point of impact has clearly changed.

Oh god yes! Immensely! I'll post the fly $h!t and pepper container as soon as I get a picture. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch---I really doubt that my gunsmith would debate the issue of his being an idiot with you. With your vast experience in that area he would lose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you sure have some nice legs! Eeker

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neverflinch---I really doubt that my gunsmith would debate the issue of his being an idiot with you. With your vast experience in that area he would lose.

The only thing he is going to lose is business if he keeps telling people that Tasco scopes are the way to go. The only idiot here is you if you choose to follow his advise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea Im the only idiot---you keep working hard at it and some day you might--doubtful--reach that level.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neverflinch:The only thing he is going to lose is business if he keeps telling people that Tasco scopes are the way to go. The only idiot here is you if you choose to follow his advise.

Why are you so intent on bashing a product that has been on the market for years, and one that many people have had success with? If you don't like it, then don't own it, but your acting like a child carrying on about what others should or shouldn't do. Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good shooting, Billt!

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Neverflinch:The only thing he is going to lose is business if he keeps telling people that Tasco scopes are the way to go. The only idiot here is you if you choose to follow his advise.

Why are you so intent on bashing a product that has been on the market for years, and one that many people have had success with? If you don't like it, then don't own it, but your acting like a child carrying on about what others should or shouldn't do. Bill T.

If you knew how to read you would see that I never bashed Tasco's. Do I think there are better options? Yes I do. For 100 bucks? Probably not. But I am bashing the opinion that Leupold's and Tasco are the only scopes that hold zero through the magnifications range. As a matter of fact that could be the stupidest statement I've ever read about optics in my life, and anyone who believes it is just as ignorant. Never believe everything you hear.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea Im the only idiot---you keep working hard at it and some day you might--doubtful--reach that level.

You keep working at it as well and someday you might--doubtful--be able to afford better than a Tasco.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never,

How many Tasco's do YOU own??? Bill T.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never,

How many Tasco's do YOU own??? Bill T.

Please tell me the relevance? If I own 1 or 70 does that mean that it's the only scope that holds zero through the magnification range? I don't understand that point of your question. I never said they were crap. Did you read any of my previous posts???????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nevermind the song and dance. How many do YOU own? Thats not that hard to understand. Bill T.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I have owned three. Two were world class, the other was not. I have none now. Threw one away, the vertical adjustment knob on one broke so it got tossed, and have no idea what happened to the other. So now I ask again, what is your point?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Neverflinch could read he would see that the original statement was"about" the only ones he saw----Now you have it twisted that its "only" one. It was a general statement. Now we learn you have a vast wealth of experience---3 Tascos to draw on. Yes its relevant,amazing how quickly you became such a know it all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neverflinch:
I have owned three. Two were world class, the other was not. I have none now. Threw one away, the vertical adjustment knob on one broke so it got tossed, and have no idea what happened to the other. So now I ask again, what is your point?

So your one of those guys that everything has to have "a point". Well, my point is this. Between your inability to count to three, (lost 1, broke 1 = 2), coupled with your uncanny ability to break and lose scopes, you hardly seem to me as the ideal person one would put faith in, "testing them". Let alone drawing any relative information in such "tests" that would be worth more than a postage stamp at a whore house. Best you go on "believing everything you hear." Bill T.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Neverflinch:

So your one of those guys that everything has to have "a point". Well, my point is this. Between your inability to count to three, (lost 1, broke 1 = 2), coupled with your uncanny ability to break and lose scopes, you hardly seem to me as the ideal person one would put faith in, "testing them". Let alone drawing any relative information in such "tests" that would be worth more than a postage stamp at a whore house. Best you go on "believing everything you hear." Bill T.

Bill, you really need to quit when your behind. It seems you are unable to read or count. He is my exact statement. "Threw one away, the vertical adjustment knob on one broke so it got tossed, and have no idea what happened to the other." If you are unable to read this and see that it is "three" maybe you can have someone else read it for you. Lost 1 + broke 1 + don't know what happened to the other = 3. As far as my uncanny ability to break and lose scopes, that only happens with cheap piece of sh*t Tasco's because I really don't care if I break or lose them. Some of us believe in "you get what you pay for". But if you want to believe that Tasco's are truly "world class" go right on ahead. People who have owned serveral brands of scopes know exactly where they stand.