Find
Notify
Tools

Picatinny style QD scope rings????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All,

Does anyone have firsthand experience using Quick Detachable (QD) style rings on a Picatinny rail on a rifle in the .416 class cartridges? Am wondering about the ability to return to zero if taken off to use I iron sights?

Note: Not asking about Weaver/Pictanny rings, but true Picatinny only rings.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Longfeather

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longfeather1:
Hello All,

Does anyone have firsthand experience using Quick Detachable (QD) style rings on a Picatinny rail on a rifle in the .416 class cartridges? Am wondering about the ability to return to zero if taken off to use I iron sights?

Note: Not asking about Weaver/Pictanny rings, but true Picatinny only rings.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Longfeather

I'm not quite sure what you are meaning with the relationship between returning to zero on a Picatinny rail and .416 class cartridges other than perhaps meaning on DG cartridge rifles you more likely swap between open sights and a scope.

While I have Picatinny rails on my smaller calibre rifles with scopes in Weaver rings, on my Mauser 404 I have a 2x scope in Weaver rings on a Weaver bridge mount. The scope always returns to zero after removal to use open sights. I don't see that the calibre of rifle has anything to do with returning to zero though. My rings are QD but not levers like a lot of hunters like. I always tighten the screws so the knob slots are aligned (timed) the same each time as you do with levers.

I don't know if this applies to Picatinny bases and rings but with Weavers the genuine brand rings have square through bolts that fit the square slots in the base whereas many/most after market Weaver 'style' rings have round through bolts and I have seen examples where the round bolts on the underside of the rings have ridden up over time wearing the top of the slots in the Weaver bases, particularly if alloy bases.

I'm sure with good quality Picatinny bases and QD rings you will have no trouble achieving return to zero on any rifle.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider one of the ADM lever scope mounts. This seems far superior to individual rings. Here's one of the lowest ones they make.
ADM Lever mount

I've used a similar one for mounting a Pulsar Thermal scope that I move between guns. 100% repeatable and very secure.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the problem will be the mounting of a second scope.

The main reason you might want to remove the first one will be because recoil wrecks the erector-tube assembly in the modern decadence Smiler

So, it might pay to get and zero a second scope, in case that happens.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I regards to the Weaver, set the screw tension with the slots matching positions to return to exact zero with any bases seems to work very well indeed. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote